Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2011, 01:22 PM
    Continued problems with mistaken identity
    A friend was born in Mexico and came to America when he was a few years old. He is here legally; has a SSN issued in his name, has a valid driver's license, pays taxes, etc.

Last year he was arrested on grounds of violating his probation. After about 2.5-3 months in jail, the judge found him not guilty of violating but he wasn't released as they said immigration was investigating him. He was held for another 4 months and at his immigration hearing, they realized they had the right name but the wrong person, told him that he was eligible to receive his citizenship, and he was released. Last week, he was arrested and is being told that, once again, he is being investigated by immigration and now, his hearing is going to be in Chicago instead of Milwaukee.

Is there something that he can do at this point? Shouldn't the state be liable for holding him for 4 months without cause when they made a mistake on their end?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 8, 2011, 01:28 PM
    You don't say why he was arrested. Is it strictly for immigration, or something else?
    He obviously needs a good lawyer, and he also needs to stay out of trouble.
    He must have the same name AND birth date as someone else, not uncommon if he has a common name.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2011, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    You don't say why he was arrested. Is it strictly for immigration, or something else?
    He obviously needs a good lawyer, and he also needs to stay out of trouble.
    He must have the exact same name AND birth date as someone else, not uncommon if he has a common name.
    The local police arrested 7+ "foreign-born gang members" which he is not.

The name is the same, the birth date is different and that's how they figured out back in May that they had the wrong guy.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 8, 2011, 01:36 PM
    A lawyer would have had him out of jail long before 4 months were up. He needs to save for one now. I doubt that he will get restitution for those 4 months, but he can try. (We don't know if he is just extremely unlucky or if he hangs out with the wrong crowd.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trig identity problems [ 1 Answers ]

(1/sec(x)tan(x))+ sin(x) and cot^2(x)+cot^2(x)Tan^2(x)

Mistaken identity and bench warrant and court hearing in L.A. [ 1 Answers ]

My Uncle was arrested on a bench warrant for a probation violation from a DUI (paid his installment payment late). While in custody and upon release he was notified he had a "hold" in Los Angeles and is to present himself in 2 weeks. The problem is that the "hold" is for an alias he has never used...

206 problems continued. How to bypass immobiliser so I can get home! [ 3 Answers ]

Have tested fuses and all are OK. Apparently the immobiliser has kicked in. as everything lights up, bettery and fuses are fine. All under the hood looks OK, checked iol water etc and nothing loose. How do I by pass the immobiliser? Thank you so much for helping I really apprectaie it:)

Mistaken identity as juvenille [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am 35 years old, back in 1988, I was picked up on a murder that I did not commit. They ended up arresting the persons who did it and they are serving life in jail. But as a result it is showing up on my record. How can I have it removed,considering it isn't me? I've been to prison when I...

Help: a laywer placed a lien on us with a case of mistaken identity [ 12 Answers ]

Help. A lawyer placed a lien against us by mistake. He mistook my wife to be another person (identical name) who lost a judgment in California Superior court. The judgment's original + interest is in 6 figure numbers. I found out when I received a notice of renewal of judgment via mail. ...

View more questions Search