Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carolynnnn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2011, 09:25 AM
    Do I have to wait any period to take my 401k if I'm over 591/2
    If I'm opening up a 401k for first time at 68 years old, is there any special waiting period seeing I'm over the 591/2 starting age to take it
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 8, 2011, 09:33 AM

Depends on your employment status and the rules of your specific plan. The IRS requires that you must start taking withdrawals by April 1 of the first year after either (a) you turn 70-1/2 or (b) you quit working, whichever comes later. However, the rules of your specific plan may actually require that you start distributions by April 1 of the year after you turn 70-1/2, even if you are still working. There may also be special vesting rules in your plan. So check with your plan administrator to see what the rules are.
    Carolynnnn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2011, 10:21 AM
    Because I am 68 and setting up for the first time a 401k at my work, my question is, do I fall into the same rules as if I had this 401 k for a long time. If I quit a year from now can I still wait until I'm 70-1/2 to start taking contributions. My work contributes so even if I had this for a year its like free money from them.

Thank you
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 8, 2011, 11:35 AM

As I said before - check with your plan administrator for the specific rules of your plan. But in general if you quit a year from now (at age 69) you can wait to 70-1/2 before taking distributions UNLESS your company has some other rules in place. For example - many plans have a rule that if you leave and have a balance less than $5K they will automatically distribute the money (this is so they don't have to keep open a lot of small accounts for ex-employeess). It's good that your employer makes contributions for you but of course that would stop as soon as you are no longer an employee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Age 591/2 can I take my 401k money [ 12 Answers ]

Without being taxed

What's the wait time between being charged and receiving a summons? [ 2 Answers ]

My 13 year old was caught shoplifting in February. We were told to expect a letrter in the mail from the Police as to when and where to appear but haven't heard anything yet.?

I can be airhostess or not? How much time I had to wait for a job? [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to the training classes of an airhostess?? I will be airhostess or not? How much time I had to wait for job?

Should I wait and just give her time and space? [ 11 Answers ]

Well about a week ago my Girlfriend broke up with me she just moved down here a year ago in about two months from Wisconsin where her dad and her baby sister live at but she is 18 years old and I'm 17 years old in November she turns 19 well she says that she doesn't want a relationship with not...

How more time do I have to wait? [ 1 Answers ]

My brother applied for me in October of 1995 I was accepted in January 10 1996 how much more time do I have to wait?for my residency?

View more questions Search