Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fburgess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2011, 03:53 PM
    Child Support and Neglect?
    This is kind of a long story. But basically my parents divorced when I was 4, I am now 22. They both were marines. My mother left the service after the divorce and my siblings and lived with her during this time. My father continued serving, and now works for the U.S government. Here's my question: my father stopped paying child support when I was 8 and Alimony . This was during a difficult time , my mother became an addict and an alcoholic.She also neglected us. We were living in the poverty. My siblings and I were sent to live with different family members in LA and I eventually moved out when I was 16. I have supported myself since then. Could I , or my siblings,sue him him for neglect and for the child support he did not pay ? I live in the state of California , and I am aware that typically my mother could pursue this case on her own. But given the fact that my father stopped paying child support and my mother was an addict and alcoholic and stopped taking care of us, I can't help but wonder if there is anything I could do. He really deserves it. He has remarried four times, has seven kids around the world. He was abusive and neglectful. He will not come to terms with being my father.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 05:05 PM

No, you have no claim, your mother can still go back for back support ( but there is a SOL for that depending on the state)

You can not force him to be a father
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2011, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fburgess View Post
    This is kind of a long story. But basically my parents divorced when I was 4, I am now 22. They both were marines. My mother left the service after the divorce and my siblings and lived with her during this time. My father continued serving, and now works for the U.S government. Here's my question: my father stopped paying child support when I was 8 and Alimony . This was during a difficult time , my mother became an addict and an alcoholic.She also neglected us. We were living in the poverty. My siblings and I were sent to live with different family members in LA and I eventually moved out when I was 16. I have supported myself since then. Could I , or my siblings,sue him him for neglect and for the child support he did not pay ? I live in the state of California , and I am aware that typically my mother could pursue this case on her own. But given the fact that my father stopped paying child support and my mother was an addict and alcoholic and stopped taking care of us, I can't help but wonder if there is anything I could do. He really deserves it. He has remarried four times, has seven kids around the world. He was abusive and neglectful. He will not come to terms with being my father.
    This is a general outline of the statute of limitations for California. They don't specifically outline neglect; however, you have been a legal adult for 4 years now. Additionally, you would have to prove some type of monetary loss that resulted from your parents neglecting you - can you do that?

Also, you have no claim on child support. Support is paid to the custodial parent to offset the expenses of raising the child(ren).

You say he stopped paying when you were 8 years old - was the support court ordered or was it something your parents simply agreed upon? If it was court ordered, your father will still have to pay your mother - regardless of if you are an adult or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Neglect, Ignored? What Can I Do? [ 7 Answers ]

I apologize for the length, however I believe a question of this gravity requires much information and evidence. I met this woman a few months ago, at first we hit it off and became quick friends. I soon began to see her neglect and verbally abuse her children. She has three children and one...

Child neglect [ 1 Answers ]

How can i get temporary cust0dy of my great grand child. His parents keep leaving him all the time, weeks at a time. Don't call. We don't know where they are.

Child neglect [ 1 Answers ]

can I sue my parents for not listen to me when I came home one day complaining about pain in my foot sometimes even crying about it and then they tell me to go get ccream and rub it on after 4 or 5 weeks of pain they take me to the hospital for an x ray and what do you know a clean BREAK in my bone...

What is child neglect [ 1 Answers ]

What are the laws on child neglect for the state of Florida? My husbands 10 yr old son is in Michigan living with his grandmother who had guardianship she just recently terminated the guardianship and cps said they were going to charge my husband with child neglect. What does that mean for him.

Child neglect [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering, my friend left her eight year old home alone (the neighbor's were coming downstairs to get her as soon as they got home), but before they could get her her daughter's dad had came and got her and took her away after calling the police to say that she was neglect. The mother she...

View more questions Search