Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2011, 09:33 AM
    I want to get your advice, to make sure I am giving the correct advice
    A friend of mine emailed me her question, knowing that I have gone through the custody thing before myself. She asked me when she can file abandonment on her sons father. I want to run by you what I am emailing her back to make sure I give her the correct information. Thank you for your help :)

you cannot FILE for abandonment. It is NOT a charge.

The judge can deem that the father has chosen not to support his child. But that is not abandonment.

The legal definition of abandonment is when an adult caregiver (parent, grandparent, babysitter, ect) physically leaves the child alone/by herself, with no supervision.

When a biological father abandons his family, its not a criminal charge. It's a piece of **** man, and it's a crappy father, but its not against the law to leave your family and never look back.

It IS against the law however, for him NOT to pay child support. And if after a certain amount of time (governed by your state) full custody MAY be granted to the mother (at the discretion of the judge)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 09:44 AM

I don't know about the legal aspects, but "peice" is spelled "piece." :)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2011, 09:47 AM

You are correct. Have her file for full custody and have an Order of Child Support in place and go after him for nonpayment of CS. If he has left her has she filed for divorce? If yes, then those 2 above items need to be incorporated in the divorce.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2011, 09:56 AM
    Lol thank you WG :P

Thanks twinkie. Ill let her know
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 8, 2011, 03:35 AM

Or tell her to open an account here and post her question directly and we can help further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girl advice: how to make the first move? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, so I've been seeing this girl now for about a week. We have gone out about every night, we live in NYC, so the "dates" consist of just going out for a walk and going to a park. Something of that nature. We talk a lot and have so much in common. I have never met someone who has this amount of...

Advice on Giving Advice [ 16 Answers ]

Hey all! I have a slight dilemna and I'd like it if you guys and gals can help me out. I have two friends who are in a relationship together, but things have become kind of rocky between them. The problem is that they are both my friends so they both confide in me and ask for advice. At present...

Correct career path? Need advice [ 4 Answers ]

For a long time I have wanted to be a fashion designer. I'm afraid that I might not be successful both financially and spiritually. Sometimes I feel like I don't have the abilities to make it. Have I chose the correct career path? Please give me some advice.

View more questions Search