Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raptor10 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Filing Taxes as married with a spouse who works outside US
    Hi,

I have a question about my taxes for 2006. I have been on H-1B visa throughout 2006. I got married in July 06 in India and my wife is still in India and she works there. Can I file as status Married and claim her as a dependent? I know I'll have to file W-7 and stuff. But is it possible to claim the standard deduction of $10,300 by filing as married? Do I have to show her India income on the tax return? If yes, what documents do I need from India (assuming that tax return have not been filed in India yet).

Thanks a lot in advance.

Pr
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Yes, you can claim her as a dependent if she is a non-resident alien (she is) and you file Married Filing Separately. You will need to apply for the ITIN. You will NOT get the double standard deduction of $10,300 this way, however.

You CAN also file jointly with her to get the $10,300 standard deduction, but you must claim her Indian-based income. You can also claim a credit for the income taxes she paid in India.

No documents are needed to prove her income for India on the initial filing. If the IRS asks, however, you need to have a method to prove her income.

Feb 10, 2007, 10:56 AM
    Thanks for the reply. So, I can claim her as a dependent even if she wasn't in the US? What status should I file the return as?

Single, Married Filing joint, Married filing separate?

I need to show that she earned income in India from Jan 01 - Dec 31? (convert the currency into dollars and fill that out?) What would be the best way to get maximum deductions in this case? Is it better to claim her as a dependent or file as married filing Joint?

I hope it won't have any negative implications in the immigration process when they ask for tax returns?

Sorry about asking too many questions.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Yes, you can claim her as a dependent if she is a non-resident alien (she is) and you file Married Filing Separately. You will need to apply for the ITIN. You will NOT get the double standard deduction of $10,300 this way, however.

You CAN also file jointly with her to get the $10,300 standard deduction, but you must claim her Indian-based income. You can also claim a credit for the income taxes she paid in India.

No documents are needed to prove her income for India on the initial filing. If the IRS asks, however, you need to have a method to prove her income.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 11:38 PM
    How much did she make in India?

Feb 11, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    How much did she make in India?
    She made around Rs. 3,80,000 (approx. $ 8636) in 2006.

(H & R Block said I can NOT put her on my return because she wasn't here in 2006 and must file as single :confused: ) She was in US in 2006 for 2 months on a business trip before we got married .
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2007, 10:43 PM
    H&R Block is WRONG AGAIN (Big Surprise!).

The physical location of your wife is irrelevant if you file jointly. You will get a double standard deduction of $10,300 and $6,600 in personal exemptions. That, combined with the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) will more than make up for the taxes owed on her India income.
    ggupta1120 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 09:18 PM
    Now when you report your wife's income who has been working outside US, do you report the income from Jan1st to Dec 31st (the US tax yr) or the income earned during the Indian tax yr from April 1st to March 31st?
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 10:30 AM
    From 1 Jan to 31 Dec 2007.
    ggupta1120 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 10:45 AM
    So just the pay stubs would do as the taxes are not filed yet?
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 25, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Yes, the pay stubs are adequate proof.
    supera Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 12:27 PM
    From my previous experiences with HR Block and reading through many posts of AtlantaTaxExpert, I have no doubt that he is the best one to get your taxes done from.I got so many of my doubts cleared just by reading his posts/answers - his experience clearly shines compared to the people at HR Block.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Thank you for the endorsement!
    supera Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Like you always say - Glad to be of help :)
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Lol!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Self on H1 and spouse on H4. Filing tax first time [ 25 Answers ]

Hi, I have come to US on H1B in Oct 2005. This is the first time I will be filing my taxes. I have a SSN no. I am a software engineer working in CT, USA. My spouse is on H4 and joined me in Dec 2005. We don't have any children. From what I have understood after reading other related links...

NYC Taxes married filing [ 3 Answers ]

Hope someone can help. I just received my tax returns from my accountant and he claims my wife and I owe ~$4000 to NYS. Combined we made roughly $165,000 split evenly between us both. Scenario: I lived in NJ last year until November after my wedding-my wife in NY the entire year. I worked...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

Taxes for married filing OPT(self), F1(wife) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a resident of India, I have been in the US from Aug 2004. My wife has been in the US since Aug 2005. I just finished my Masters and am working full time in OPT status. My wife is still in F1 status. Should my employer cut Social Security and Medicare taxes? We wanted to file in...

Filing returns for 2005 with my spouse [ 3 Answers ]

I am on H1 visa since Feb 05. My wife joined me in April 05 on H4 visa. Currently I am using TaxCut to file my return and later along with my Fedral return I will be applying for my spouse W7. I have the following Queries: 1. Do you want to file a joint return with your spouse? Yes/No How...

View more questions Search