Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcitro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2011, 07:25 AM
    My fan is constantly running on outside unit, but it is not running inside house.
    I have it on the auto fan setting
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2011, 09:56 AM

It's probably a relay switch that is bad. This needs to be properly tested to make sure that is the problem.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2011, 09:16 AM
    If the unit is a heat pump there is a relay on the defrost control that is probably stuck. The relay only breaks one side of the connection to the fan motor. A short to ground will make it run at half speed and burn it up completely. If, however, it's running at full speed you have a stuck relay. That relay is usually soldered on the circuit board controlling the defrost cycle. You can bypass the defrost board by unplugging the fan from the circuit board and plugging it onto the side of the contactor that feeds that side of the circuit. You will see one wire from fan plugged onto the contactor on one side of it. The wire you remove from circuit board will plug onto the other side so that when the contactor closes calling for the compressor to run the fan will run. Once you do this, push in contactor with a small screwdriver and both the compressor and fan will run. Make sure to unplug the power from outside unit before you do any work on it. Once you move the one wire turn power back on to test it. If you have plugged it on the wrong side the fan will not run and you will have to plug it on the other side. Make sure you plug it on the outgoing side, the incoming side hooks to power from the house. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump inside fan running almost constantly [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a house with a heat pump system in Summer 2010. Since I live in Ohio, the temp dropped now below 32 degrees. The heat pump provides sufficient heat, and it seems the pump itself is running only if necessary (I assume a green light at the thermostate indicates when the pump itself is...

Air Exchange in house running, outside motor running, Fan not turning [ 0 Answers ]

I have a RUUD #UAKA-024JAS man. 1995. The exchange in the house functions. When I turn the AC on the motor is running, but the fan isn't turning. I checked the breakers, which seemed to be fine. I disconnected the power and checked the fan, which spins freely. I need advice on how to fix this...

Constantly running heating unit [ 3 Answers ]

How do I replace the relay in my carrier series 101 HVAC unit to stop it from continually running even when in the off position? Other postings said I may have a sticking relay that will need to be replaced. Is this something I can do myself? Thank you

View more questions Search