Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rljlocke Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2011, 05:28 AM
    8 week Golden Retreiver puppy has parvo
    2 weeks ago I purchased a Golden Retreiver puppy that was 8 weeks old. We got him on a Tuesday around 5pm and on Wednesday he started throwing up and was very lifeless. He would not eat, drink or play. I took him to the vet Thursday morning and he was diagnoised with Parvo. I immediately called the breeder and told her that the puppy had parvo. This was one of 10 in the liter. She told me that she had 2 puppies left and they were not sick. I have no other dogs so I know that he did not get it at my home. Was he sick when I bought him? How long is the incubation period? I believe that my puppy is much better now, eating everytjhing in sight, playing and barking.
    I asked the breeder to refund my purchase price and she said that she did not sell me a sick puppy. I appreciate any advice you can give
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2011, 05:51 AM

The incubation period for Parvo is between 1-2 weeks so it's a safe bet that the pup had parvo when you purchased it.
    Did the breeder give you a health contract with the pup?

I would ask your vet to provide you with a signed letter stating that the puppy did in fact have parvo virus and what the incubation period is and present it to the breeder.

If the puppy is fine now then I don't think a refund is reasonable, but I do think the breeder should be paying for some if not all of the vet expenses.
    rljlocke Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2011, 06:05 AM
    NO All the breeder gave me was the AKC registration paperwork. This has been a lesson learned for me. I am talking with my Vet to see if he will write me a letter that I can send to her. I have spent $1300 on vet bills to make this puppy well. I truly believe that if we had not taken him home with us she would have let him die.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Aug 4, 2011, 06:22 AM
    Ditto on Shaz' post.
    I am trusting that your Vet did go over all the cleaning that needs to be done and so on. If not you can get good instructions here for that also if you need it.
    I wish you luck with the other and hope the breeder takes into consideration a letter from your Vet.
    And Kudos to you for stepping up and taking action when your little guy needed a helping hand, Treating Parvo can be pretty intensive and expensive.
    He's a lucky boy.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 4, 2011, 05:15 PM

I can't answer for the legal aspect, but I can say I am sorry you guys had to go through that! I also agree that the breeder should pay for half of the vet costs. Are you able to contact any of the other purchasers? If their pups also had parvo, you what the common denominator is. Did you take the pups any place at all before they got sick? The park, out walking in the woods, vet clinic or groomer? Parvo is very contagious and found in so many different locations.

I am glad to hear that your pup is on the mend. Good luck!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2011, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rljlocke View Post
    NO All the breeder gave me was the AKC registration paperwork.
    Would these be legit if it was a backyard breeder?
    Dogs Expert

Aug 5, 2011, 04:58 AM

Yes BYB's can and do register or at least have paper work for reg breeds.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Aug 5, 2011, 08:50 AM
    I know this off the beaten path here, but in ref. to WG inquiry. Yep, We once had a client with 2 registered 20 # solid black Yorkies? Huh? Have yet to figure out that happened.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 5, 2011, 11:22 AM

Hijacked for a little longer, but have you ever heard of a pure bred Labradoodle :cool: Or the pure bred Laboxers a woman was selling on a buy and sell website...
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Aug 6, 2011, 01:19 PM
    And a little bit longer. Have you never heard of a pure Lab and a pure Poodle (big or little? replete with papers, getting together? Would not the entrepreneurial, imaginative mind then HAVE to agree that the resulting brood was Pure Bred, at least of a sort?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2011, 07:35 PM

I have heard the same argument from every designer dog breeder... "But purebreds are just mixed breeds anyway".
    Some people just don't get it, others don't want to get it.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 03:37 PM

One hundred greenies :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

15 Week Old Dying Retreiver Pup [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, My 15 week old golden retreiver pup is extremely ill the past 5 days. He had been ill 2 months ago but recovered after he coughed out a worm ( I think the vet said it may have been in his brain). Now he has been almost unconscious for 5 days after he seemingly suffered a fit. He does...

When can I get another puppy after my puppy died of parvo? [ 19 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a puppy. 5 days later she was very sick and after taking her to the vet hospital we found out she had parvo. We did everything possible to help her get better but after 5 days of 24 hour treatment we had to put her to sleep. We've now learned that she contacted the...

Golden retreiver not eating [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all,I have a 9 yr old dog that the past week or so every time she ate she threw it back up right away and then ate it again.Now she is not eating at all and drinking little,she is getting weak and it seems like I can only get just a little food in her and she wants no more.Under her chin like...

New Daschund puppy with my golden retreiver 2 yr old [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. We have a new addition at our home and are wondering how to help the older dog understand how to treat our mini doxie? She is 2 lbs and the golden is 65 lbs? Any thoughts? Should I let them play together? Will our hyper golden figure out how gentle to be? Or is this an accident...

9 month old Golden Retreiver [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old golden Retreiver that is a pretty much well behaved until I get him in the car. He them starts a high pitched bark and will viciously tear apart anything he can get his teeth on.. I have tried to correct this behavior but nothing works. He loves to go swimming but I can't take...

View more questions Search