Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    giama1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2011, 02:53 PM
    Rights to remains
    My daughters father passed away in April. I was told by his mom and her boyfriend that I need to sign a paper since she's a minor to give permission for him to be cremated. His mothers boyfriend who is an attorney told me that's what I was signing, I was an emotional wreck when I signed the paper not knowing I was signing to give his mother the remains. I signed it under false pretenses. I trusted her boyfriend that he was telling me the truth about what I was signing since he is an attorney. Long story short, my daughters grandmother now doesn't want anything to do with her. My daughter is 5 and I know that she will eventually want part or all of his ashes. What can I do to get at least half of his ashes for her?:confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 4, 2011, 02:09 PM

You can't get half his ashes, but if you are smart you will put 'something' in a little container and put it somewhere so your daughter will 'think' it is her dad's ashes, but I don't think it will ever be an issue if she is only five, giama. You are worrying unnecessarily about this. When the time comes and she starts asking, then I am sure you will have answers. Time heals old wounds, and this is what will happen eventually. Be patient, enjoy your daughter without worry.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 4, 2011, 06:46 PM

I am not sure why anyone would want the ashes to be frank, and unless a big deal is made of it, her entire life I doubt she will ever care. Perhaps there could be a memorial made for her, photos, some belongs, saved and stored , for her to remember him with.

I have my dads pocket watch he carried ever day of his adult life and some other things that was important to him, I keep it in a small box and sometimes look at it when thinking of him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace only remains on a few minutes [ 1 Answers ]

The furnace will turn on and run for approximately 5-10 minutes. Upon igniting, the blower will soon kick on. After the said 5-10 minutes, the blower will kick off and the damper door will remain on with no flame and will not reset by itself. I manually have to turn it on and off. I would greatly...

Foam remains in washer [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 10 year old GE top load washing machine. Every time after it's finished washing and spin-drying I'd see quite a bit of foam remaining insie, so I have to rinse again. The water drains very well, and the pipes in the building have just been cleaned. The problem started about a...

Disposition of remains [ 2 Answers ]

Can a surviving spouse (in Ontario, Canada) change the disposition of the remains of a deceased spouse if other clearly stated wishes were formalized in a will? (ie deceased wishes were to be buried, surviving spouse wishes to keep remains in residence).

Piece of tooth still remains [ 1 Answers ]

I had a tooth removed and there is what looks like a piece of the tooth still there. It is sharp and sensitive. Do I need to go back to the dentist?

Dismissed in BK but lien remains [ 4 Answers ]

In CH13, charges of 1400 for a dept store bill were dismissed by judge. During court, my atty failed to "make a motion to dismiss" And now I owe 3400 dollars-as a lien on my home. It includes the original 1400, interest and atty fees. I called atty who wants to go to court which I am afraid...

View more questions Search