Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samga Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2011, 12:57 PM
    Is it legal to fire union worker with no written or verbal warning
    Is it legal to fire union employee twelve years over one accident? I have never been late
    No prior accidents. Never been written up.Just fired same day as accident with no verbal or written warning.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 01:17 PM

What does the Union contract say? All contracts are not alike.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by samga View Post
    Is it legal to fire union employee twelve years over one accident?
    Hello s:

I'd say NO. If they can, you have a VERY WEAK union.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello s:

I'd say NO. If they can, you have a VERY WEAK union.

excon

I'd like to know more about the accident. There's a difference between being a truck driver, on company time, in an accident while intoxicated and dropping a tray of cookies.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'd like to know more about the accident.
    Hello again, Judy:

Me too. But, even if he were 100% at fault, and disobeyed a bunch of rules and policy, he STILL should be afforded due process. Having NEVER been written up before MAY be a clincher...

I know when I managed union employees, I HAD to have written warnings in the file before I could fire anybody no matter WHAT they did. Ok, I guess if they murdered a customer, I could have let 'em go.. But, I was never that lucky.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 02:14 PM

It is of course "legal" they can not be arrested for doing so,

It may well be against the union contract, that is why you have a shop steward who you need to have with you at any meeting, they can file a protest with the company on your behalf

If you came in drunk and had a wreck, killed someone, yes I would assume you would be fired. If you tripped and broke a 100 tool, most likely not
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    it is of course "legal" they can not be arrested for doing so, ...
    "Legal" and "not criminal" are entirely two different concepts. It is "illegal" to violate a contract, including a union contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    ... If you came in drunk and had a wreck, killed someone, yes I would assume you would be fired. ...
    Or, to use excon's example, if you murdered a customer. :D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2011, 04:31 PM

The question is not whether it is legal or not, but whether it violates the union contract or not. So what did your shop steward or union rep say when you went to him/her?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease without Written Contract. All verbal agreement [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm currently renting from a person, who verbally agreed upon my lease and lease option to purchase. I moved into the home (Florida) last Septmber, with the understanding, within 2 years, I could either purchase the home, or continue to rent. So with this being said, I spent about $8k in...

Is it legal to terminate someone without warning,never written up or spoken to verbal [ 4 Answers ]

I was terminated today after working for the company nearly three years. The reason for the termination was unsatisfactory work performance. I have never been spoken to nor written up and when I asked why I was being terminated it was for one particular function out of 20 duties I performed. ...

In virginia must a landlord give 30 written notice on verbal lease [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord owns several hotels and the agreement was that I could live in the home that was in disrepair in exchange for landscaping his hotels. I did the work and then he told me I had to go without the demanded 30 notice of eviction in writing. He also cut off the power and water to force me...

Written lease w/ verbal agreement [ 4 Answers ]

Duval county, Fl The house we rented was originally $1400.00 w/ yard service. We signed a lease for $1200.00 per mo. & agreed to take care of the yard. This was 10/15/06. Gave a $500.00 security deposit. Aug. '07 we went out of town & the grass grew. We came home from work one day, & someone...

No verbal or written agreement [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone collect on a gift, they are now calling loan? Have not seen this person for 4 years until yesterday opened the door and there he stood with 2 other men. Invited him in thinking this was a visit or had not seen him for 4 years. He told me that he wanted the money he had spent on the...

View more questions Search