Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kappapsi96 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2011, 05:57 AM
    Can my child mother sue me for legal and physical custody in two states?
    My son's mother has not allowed me to see me newborn son for almost 18mos. He is now 2 years old. About a year ago. I filed for partial custody and visitation; we also have a child support order in the state of MD. She without my knowledge packed up and moved my son to PA. I could never serve her papers in court because I did not know her whereabouts. I hired an investigator who located her in PA living with her mom and working in the state. I filed in the state of MD with this information and she responded with her MD address indicating to the courts that she still resides in MD but in PA she has petitioned the courts with a lawsuit for full legal and physical custody. I attempted to enter into an agreement with her on visitation rights to my son and she has not responded to any of my request. We have an upcoming court date in MD where I petiton the courts for a modification on child support, partial custody and visitation. I do not see how this will work out considering she has not allowed me to see my son and she has moved him 3hrs and 45 minutes. Away from me. Can she do this while maintain dual residency?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 06:09 AM

Jurisdiction is where she resides. You have to "take her where you find her." That means that is you live here and she lives there and she did not defy a Court Order when she moved, you have to live with the situation BUT the good news often is that because you can't, for example, see the child during the week and on alternate weekends due to distance when you DO see him it is for longer periods. This will become important as he gets older.

The Court will determine which State has jurisdiction and her game will be over.

It will work out. It will just take a little time to settle jurisdiction.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Jurisdiction is where she resides. ...
    I beg to differ.

It's with the child's "home state", in this case, Maryland, assuming she didn't move at least six months before OP filed his petition.

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction And Enforcement Act is quite specific. I believe jurisdiction is in Maryland.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I beg to differ.

It's with the child's "home state", in this case, Maryland, assuming she didn't move at least six months before OP filed his petition.

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction And Enforcement Act is quite specific. I believe jurisdiction is in Maryland.

No problem - I was "assuming" that the child lives with the mother; therefore, the child resides where the mother resides.

Agreed - it appears to be Maryland.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In joint legal custody does can one parent get primary physical custody? [ 1 Answers ]

My child's father is in military and in order to get housing needs to show he will have baby for 50% of yr... in order to do so he needs custody but I'm not trying to give up my legal rights as her mother... what can we do?

I have custody of my great niece and her mother is threatening to sue to get custody [ 5 Answers ]

What does a parent have to prove to regain custody from a relative

Primary physical custody and joint legal custody [ 2 Answers ]

My son and his wife are divorced now, they have joint legal custody mother has primary physical custody because my son is in the military and he was told that she had to have primary physical custody in order to enroll the child in school. However she doesn't have my son listed as a contact person...

View more questions Search