Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BrodyNoochie Posts: 55, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2011, 05:52 PM
    Advice for training for my first marathon
    I want to run a marathon but have never done anything like that before. I am planning to give myself about a year to train. Anyone have a good website or book for me to reference? Also, any other general advice?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2011, 06:03 PM

How often and how far do you currently run

Aug 3, 2011, 07:38 AM

I don't currently do much. I do about 3 miles, 3 times a week. I am hoping a year is enough time to increase that a bit.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2011, 07:56 AM
    There are tons of sites:
    training for a marathon - Google Search

Aug 3, 2011, 10:45 AM

There are lots of sites but most of it is general knowledge. I am looking for a book to reference for a step by step training. I do most of my training on a treadmill. So any helpful tips people have would be great.
    mr.cale Posts: 11, Reputation: -1

Aug 6, 2011, 01:27 PM
    Keep a steady pace and don't burn before the run the road is the best tread mill and will be the same four the maraton. Pleanty of suger based drinks
    rena47 Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Nov 10, 2011, 06:17 PM
    A good starting point is the Hal Higdon marathon training plan at http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/MaraNovice1.html. Higdon offers a few different training plans depending on your experience. For example, if you've run a half-marathon, you'd start with Novice 2, but if your longest distance is a 5K you'd probably stick with the Novice 1 plan. Almost all marathon training programs follow the same general format -- 2 or 3 short runs during the week and a long run on the weekend. The long run starts at about 4 miles and gets progressively longer -- up to about 20 miles. I'm in a marathon training plan myself right now -- getting ready for my first marathon (the LA Marathon) in March 2012. Good luck with your training!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tips for training 1/2 a marathon [ 3 Answers ]

I've just started training for a 1/2 a marathon. Does anybody have good tips or websites I can visit? Thx!

Litter training advice [ 4 Answers ]

As some of you know, I have kittens. Those of you who know that, probably also know that I've been having trouble convincing them to use the litter box. I have two litter boxes because the main one is too tall for the kittens to get in and out of easily. They'll use the other one, but they also...

Potty training advice [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to potty train my two year old son before the next addition arrives in may. He has gone on occasion, if I catch him in time. But he doesn't always tell me when he needs to go. Sometimes he tells me after he has gone, but not before. And I don't know whether I should ask him like every...

Potty training advice? [ 13 Answers ]

I am trying to potty train my two year old son before the next addition arrives in may. He has gone on occasion, if I catch him in time. But he doesn't always tell me when he needs to go. Sometimes he tells me after he has gone, but not before. And I don't know whether I should ask him like every...

Potty training advice etc. [ 1 Answers ]

We have had a American Cocker spaniel puupy for 3 weeks now. She was purchased from a pet store and had been there for one month. I have never owned a puppy before and this has been quite a challenging few weeks. "Zoe" has gone through a few stages in these weeks; from absolutely no control and...

View more questions Search