Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SCOTTDM Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 03:52 PM
    RE-soldering p-trap to copper pipe
    (New user) I have a 1-1/2" copper p-trap & drain line in my basement that has burst at the drain pipe right after the trap, can I sweat the pipe out of the end of the trap and reuse the trap with new copper 1-1/2" piping, will it hold?

Jan 31, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Copper drain to pvc p-trap to copper drain line ?
    Can I cut out a copper p-trap and replace it with a pvc trap without replacing the remainder of the drain line?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 31, 2007, 03:59 PM
    I haven't seen too many copper "P" traps. Brass ones yes but not copper. Where has the pipe burst? The stubout coming out of the wall or the trap tail coming out of the "J" bend? Please describe it in detail? Regards, Tom

Feb 6, 2007, 05:02 PM
    The pipe has burst 1/2" from the j bend on the trap tail.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 6, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTTDM
    That piece is called the trap tail and is part of the trap so the entire trap will have to be replaced. You do have options. You can unsolder the trap tail from the stubout and install a new trap**or** you can unsolder the trap tail from the stubout and then solder on a 1 1/2" slip to male thread Midland Bushing,( adapter) and convert to PVC using a slip to female thread PVC coupling. Good luck, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTTDM
    You can buy what is called a 'code adapter', which is basically a brass or copper sweat on trap adapter, and then use a pvc tubular plastic p-trap.

You are allowed to use 50/50 solder to sweat the adapter on, which is a lot easier to use than 95/5 solder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Soldering copper stub [ 1 Answers ]

this is close (5/8") to the stucco wall. Will I be able to get the joint hot enough to solder, or will the stucco wall suck away the heat?

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

Soldering copper pipe to faucet valve body [ 2 Answers ]

Is it OK to solder the copper feed lines and shower stub to the brass faucet valve body or should I use compression connectors?

Copper pipe in the slab [ 5 Answers ]

In moving our kitchen to another part of the house, I discovered (after removing the old floor cabinets) that the plumbing seems rather "unusual". The 3/4" lines comes out of the floor (slab) to go up to the old sink, but then cross over above the slab about a foot before then going down again...

Soldering copper pipe to shower valve [ 10 Answers ]

I have a shower valve body (brass) and am trying to solder copper pipe to it. For the life of me I can't seem to get the pipe and fitting hot enough to melt the solder. I noticed soldering copper pipe to the drop elbow took more flame heat than normal. Is there some trick when soldering copper...

View more questions Search