Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ratharavi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2011, 08:27 AM
    Which gives more salary ?(civil engineering or mechanical engineering)
    Which gives more salary ?(civil engineering or mechanical engineering)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 1, 2011, 09:33 AM
    It depends on the education level, country, and many other factors, but according to the US Labor Dept, they earned about the same in 2008.
    Here's a list from another US group of employers for median salaries in 2009:
    Petroleum $83,121
    Chemical 64,902
    Mining/Mineral 64,404
    Computer 61,738
    Nuclear 61,610
    Electrical/electronics and communications 60,125
    Mechanical 58,766
    Industrial/manufacturing 58,358
    Materials 57,349
    Aerospace/aeronautical/astronautical 56,311
    Agricultural 54,352
    Bioengineering and biomedical 54,158
    Civil 52,048

Read the US Dept of Labor/Bureau of Labor Statistics for more interesting facts about the future, which claim that civil engineers will be more needed down the road.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 1, 2011, 10:11 AM

I'm an ME by training and my wife is a CE, and from our experience I agree with the general statement that MEs make a bit more than CEs. At least this seems true in the US. However once you are established in a career then factors such as the specific type of work you do, whether you move into management, and the type of company you work for are important. Many engineers who work for larger corporations tend to have a career path that takes them away from pure ME or CE work even if they don't go into management - it's common to end up in other areas such as systems engineering, quality assurance, product management, or even HR.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mechanical Engineering versus Aeronautical Engineering [ 3 Answers ]

I am asking about the relationship between Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering. Is it possible to pursue Aeronautical Engineering postgraduate degree after completing Mechanical Engineering undergraduate degree? How is the demand for Aeronautical Engineering graduates?

Mechanical Vs Civil Engineering [ 2 Answers ]

Hello guys. I just finished my foundation of studies and now I'm going to persuade degree now.Before I persuade can someone tell me which career is suitable for my me. I have interest in Maths and physics but I'm not good in drawing at all. I'm very poor in creativity/imagination. When I look on...

Mechanical engineering [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know that if I just complete my me and then apply for a job will I get any good ones? After an accomplishing a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering how do I priceed for a masters degree? How many years does it take to complete a masters degree? Can a mechanical engineer ...

Mechanical engineering [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if it is possible to complete mechanical engineering as an undergraduate and then pursue aeronautical engineering as a masters degree? Does mechanical engineering have a better scope than aeronautical engineering in the future? What are the possible jobs that a mechanical...

View more questions Search