Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rjgraham Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 01:40 PM
    What kind of chair is this 'Lady Chair' ?
    Hello,

I recently inherited a chair shown in the following photos:

http://forsale.surfbytes.com/chair1.jpg
    http://forsale.surfbytes.com/chair2.jpg
    http://forsale.surfbytes.com/chair3.jpg

It is lacquered, with a curved wood back and seat.

The only thing identifying this chair is a 'Made in China' sticker attached to the bottom of the frame.

I am told that this chair may be worth up to $1000, is this possible?

-Randy
    Father Mike Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Impossible. This chair is NOT worth $1000 or close to it. The chair is made in China as with more and more furniture these days. It is no more than 4 or 5 years old and wholesales for $200. The design of your "lady chair" is based on the artist Picasso

Feb 18, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Thanks Father Mike.

I didn't think it was worth that much either, especially after finding the 'made in china' sticker ;)

-Randy
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2007, 08:48 AM
    I would not even pay $200.00 for this but to each their own.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2007, 12:39 AM
    I'm not so sure that I would jump on the bandwagon that the chair may not be worth what Randy has been told that it might be.

I would like to know what source told him what it might be worth.

I have never seen a chair like this before. Because of my profession, that being a piano tuner and furniture refinisher. I have had ample opportunity to be in all sorts of homes of some very affluent people. The art in those homes can be very eclectic in there nature.

If the chair has not been mass-produced, then it may be worth quite a bit of money.

It is obviously a work of art. It took quite a bit of design and ingenuity to produce it. I would not equate it with what so much of what Picasso's work was associated with, such as art nouveau, but rather the art deco period in the early twentieth century in the United States. It may reflect the style of art deco, but that does not matter. It is a work of art, nonetheless.

"Made in China" does not have the stigma that it used to have.

The chair may be much older than it appears to be in a photograph.

A good deal of what a work of art is worth is what people will pay.

Mar 27, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Hi Clough,

I bought a house and some of its contents last year and the Lady Chair was included.
    The original owner itemized the contents and listed a value of $1000 (CDN) for the chair.

I suspect that this price was either a typo or the seller was gouging me on this item, hoping I wouldn't notice it amongst other items.

I will try contacting the seller to see if I can get more info on it.

Thanks for your post !

-Randy
    classylassie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 12:36 PM
    I am unsure as to the details of this particular piece, however, it is an art deco style chair which would make it possible to sell this chair for $1,000.00 With art deco chair's it depends on the buyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mildew on chair cushions [ 1 Answers ]

How can I safely remove mildew from canvas blue and white striped cushions?

How high should a chair rail be? [ 3 Answers ]

I am thinking of adding a chair rail in my dining room, but I don't know how high it should be. Is there a standard height? Also, how do you deal with doors and larger openings without doors (like between the kitchen and dining room)? How about windows? We have standard size double hungs that...

What is this chair called ? [ 1 Answers ]

I was given a hand me down chair that I am simply in love with. I need to find out what it is called, but so far everyone wants to call it a recliner or a hugger BUT..... It looks like a normal upright armchair with no moving parts, but the back reclines about 6 inches - but that is the only...

Painted sofa and chair [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to go about painting a cloth sofa or chair and the result is that it looks exactly like leather. I have seen the instructions but can't remember where. Thanks for any help that you can give me. omapick

Rocking Chair [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old rocking chair that uses wicker material for the back rest and the seat area, this wicker fell apart and I bought more but I don't know how to treated since is hard. Was told to sumerged in warm water and wait until is soft to work with it. Is this correct I'm afraid to do it and...

View more questions Search