Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thunderlady 50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2011, 08:10 PM
    Minor through the court system
    What is the minn law on decision for a child not to be with the other parent? My grandson is 11
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2011, 06:28 AM
    The child doesn't get to decide anything until they are 18. However, a child's preference is given more consideration the older the child is. Please see THIS link.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2011, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderlady 50 View Post
    what is the minn law on decision for a child not to be with the other parent? my grandson is 11
    As already noted, the child cannot make that decision - the final say is left up to the judge.

Could you give us some more information regarding the situation? Does your grandson want to move or are you merely asking out of curiosity?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2011, 03:44 PM

The preference of an 11 year old is not likely to be given much weight. But if the non custodial parent wants a change of custody they have to file for a modification, present their reasons including the child's testimony and see what the court says.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If a minor misses court date, who gets in trouble? Guardian and/or the minor? [ 1 Answers ]

If a 16-year-old with a court date (stealing, $100) doesn't show up for the appointment, does the guardian get in trouble alone, or the 16-year-old as well? State is TN.

I am 16 and since I'm a minor, I have to go to court for failure to control a vehicle [ 7 Answers ]

I live about 3 minutes from where the accident occurred. I had been driving down a street I regulary drive on and I heard a strange noise and my car started to feel "weird." It felt as if the wheel wasn't working properly. I'm not sure why but my car pulled me to the side a little bit, causing me...

What happens if a Minor fails to appear in court? [ 3 Answers ]

Minor (17) child was arrested for drinking. He showed up for his first court appearance and was given a court appointed attorney. He has not yet called or seen his attorney. He has moved out of county, and I fear he may be trying to avoid going to court. Can anyone tell me what happens if he...

What court system [ 2 Answers ]

My son lives in Iowa and I live in Florida and he wants to live with me do have to use the Iowa court system or Florida system?

View more questions Search