Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shekharsahai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 01:10 PM
    How to decide resident alien status for filing Tax return
    I am in the United States since January 1, 2006 and I am still here in United States. I am in H1 Visa and my wife and son are on H4. We all arrived together.

Can I consider myself as resident alien for filing tax return?

Can I file return as a married filing jointly? My wife is not working.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 03:48 PM
    If you arrived in the U.S. exactly on 1 January 2006, then you can file jointly with your wife as resident aliens, claiming your son as a dependent.

I assume you have either a SSN or, more likely, an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) that was issued to you when you got the visa. Your wife and son probably do not have one, however.

No problem! Download from Internal Revenue Service Form W-7. Fill it out; one for your wife and one for your son. Have your wife sign her W-7 and you sign for your son.

Make a complete photocopy of your wife's and your son's passport. Get the photocopies notarized at any bank as true copies. Staple the notarized photocopies to the W-7s.

Complete your tax return (Form 1040 or 1040A), with your wife's name under yours and your son's name in Section 6. Leave the SSN areas for your wife and son BLANK.

Mail the tax return, with the W-7 w/stapled notarized photocopies paper clipped to it, to the address contained in the W-7 instructions.

The IRS will review the W-7, issue the ITINs, insert the ITINs in the appropriate blank areas, then process the return. They will then send you the ITINs under separate correspondence.

Once you get the ITINs back, then (and only then) can you file your state tax returns.

The entire process takes from 4 - 6 weeks.

If you need professional help to do this, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1 (Resident Alien) and H4 (NR Alien) joint tax problem [ 7 Answers ]

I have been in the US since 2003 and have filed as a NON-Resident Alien for the tax year 2005 (I was a student). My H1B started Jan 1, 2006 and I got married on Aug 28th 2006. My wife joined me on my way back on a H4 visa. I know that we can both file as a Resident Aliens. 1. Is our STD...

H1B Status - Am I a Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I arrived in the US last year in October on an H1B visa. I want to start filing state (California) and federal taxes for the three months of 2006 that I was in the country. Am I a resident alien for tax purposes? Or have I not been in the country long enough? Can anybody tell me which tax...

Resident or Non-resident Alien for tax year 2006? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have been in the US since 20th January 2006 and am on the payroll of my company since July 2006 , for the purpose of filling Tax returns for the year 2006 , am I a resident Alien or a non-resident alien?

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

NJ resident filing NY IT-203 non-resident return [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I know its crunch time for tax filing so any advice I will greatly appreciate! This is my first time filing and I am confused. I thought to file on my own because it would not be complicated. I am a NJ resident who worked a few months in NJ, half the year in NYC (full time) and a very...

View more questions Search