Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisaann1025 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2011, 05:27 PM
    Modular Home with wall, ceiling cracks, etc.
    I purchased a modular home just over three years ago. I guess over a year now I have started getting thin cracks in the walls and ceiling and the crown moulding started separating. I also have problems with the pantry doors and storm doors not always closing properly. Just recently, there has been construction going on around my house. Not long after that I noticed really big cracks in the wall above my door frame, on both sides of the wall, inside the room and outside the room, and my door would no longer close. Now, about a month later, I noticed the cracks have closed, but you can still see them, and my door now closes like normal. And in the same area, the crown moulding looked like it was about to come off the ceiling/wall but is now almost normal looking. My question is, does this sound normal for a modular/raised home? Is it normal for these houses to shift? Or does it sound like my house is sinking or has a foundation problem?

Any help would be great, thanks! :confused:
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 29, 2011, 05:45 PM
    Without seeing it or the construction going on nearby, it's not easy to guess. There's also where you live, the soil type, how old the house is, and how the roof and foundation look. If other homes like it were built at the same time, go knock on some doors, or contact a renovator/builder for an estimate.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2011, 05:48 PM

I would say you have a foundation problem.
    If everything was sitting flat and level, that should not happen.
    lisaann1025 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2011, 07:22 PM
    My house is about 3 1/2 yrs old, so roof is pretty new. The house sits on cinder blocks. The construction that was going on had stopped for over a month now, & I just recently noticed the cracks have closed & my door now closes. I live in LA, the original house that sat on this lot was demolished after hurricane Katrina.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling a modular home [ 5 Answers ]

We owe more than the home is worth and want out what is the best way to do this without just foreclosing? By owner, through a realitor? We are not sure where to start.

My house has cracks in walls and ceiling; one ceiling crack is 1/4" wide. [ 4 Answers ]

The house is on cement slab, about ten years old.

Insulating vaulted ceiling in a modular home [ 3 Answers ]

I have a modular home with vaulted ceilings throughout most of the house. The blown-in insulation that was put in place while building the home, settled to the outside edges of the house when it was moved 1,000 miles to my homesite. I was considering more blown-in insulation, but, when I inquired...

Modular home [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to find a bathroom ceiling light to work with my existing fan, the opening in the ceilling is 7.5" x 7.5" and will the existing wiring to the fan be OK to power up the light

Cracks where ceiling meets wall [ 4 Answers ]

I moved in 30 years ole house 4 years ago. When I moved in, the house was newly painted. Now I found cracks on paint everywhere. I don't worry about them 'cause it's just cosmetic. However, there's a long line of crack where ceiling meets wall in all three bedrooms upstairs. It's like...

View more questions Search