Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccmom56 Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Jul 29, 2011, 04:39 AM
    Tested positive foe oxycodone take hydrocodone. Sendine urine out to lab.
    I take hyrocodone. Went to my first visit to a pain clinic here where I moved to. Old clinic was taking oxycodone.. months ago. Came up positive on drug screen in office for oxycodone. I KNOWN I have not taken this drugs for quite some time. Said she would send it out to the lab. What are my chances that they will get this straightened out correctly. My fears is some how they could have contaimented the sample. Bottle was not sealed and they took it to the back to test it. What do I do if it still says I took oxycodone. It is the next day. Would trying to get someone else get a urine screen help at this point? Very frustrating, I know I'm right. What to do?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2011, 06:45 AM

Your description indicates an on-site test, an immunoassay (IA). 1) These tests have a high error rate. 2) In addition hydrocodone can cross-react with opiate panels in many commercial test kits.

Any chromatographic analysis (GC/MS, etc) can clear it up, hopefully that is what they have ordered from the lab, and not another IA.

Jul 29, 2011, 10:20 AM
    Not sure which test they ordered. I think it's the gas chromatagrah, but I'm not sure. I was so blown away by the results my mind shut down. What disadvantage is there to the other test. Do false positives come up often? I know I did not have oxycodone in my system, but I'm also worried about contamination due to their urine collection process. Will always insist on proper clain of command from here on out. Thanks for your help. At least I feel a little better.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2011, 10:37 AM

The Gas Chromatograph/Mass Spectometry (GC/MS) precisely differentiates between various drugs via metabolites and each of which have a spectific spectrum.

Contamination could be a cause but it would be lower on my list due to higher cutoff and lower sensitivity levels for the On-site tests. I am more inclined to think it was a cross-reaction caused by the Hydrocodone, which is all too common.

The first step the lab will take is to perform another IA but it is instrumental as opposed to "dip stick" or "container type." More precise but not infallible. There is still a possibility for cross-reaction because like the simpler versions it relies on an antibody/antigen reaction. However, it will probably be negative, if so, the test ends there and is returned as negative.

If the lab IA is positive then proper procedure dictates a confirmatory test using GC/MS or equivalent. This test would then provide the spectrum referred to above.

The problem you are having is very common in the drug testing field. Personnel that don't understand the test, doctors and office personnel that don't order the proper tests in corresponding with the lab.

Hopefully, the follow-up will be properly performed... it's certainly easy enough. So Good Luck and please let us know how it turns out.

Jul 29, 2011, 12:50 PM

Thank you very much for clearing that all up for me. Note to doctors, you harm the patient by relying on these tests. I was not prescribed medication due to this and will/am suffering while I wait for "the lab". Dangerous and frustrating.

Aug 1, 2011, 03:00 PM

Still waiting for word. Did u/a on Thursday. Not sure how long this testing will take.

Aug 15, 2011, 01:51 PM
    Teat was negative and I received my medication. Took 2 1/2 weeks but at least it's over. Thank you for all your help.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2011, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmom56 View Post
    teat was negative and i received my medication. took 2 1/2 weeks but at least it's over. thank you for all your help.
    So happy to hear that. I've been watching for your results. Good luck to you in the future.

Should you have the time, please check in occasionally. Thousands of people each day confront the same circumstances you just went through. Your personal experience would be of great benefit to them. Too often these folks feel as though they are accused of drug dealing or addiction... they are reluctant to mention it to others and don't know where to turn for help. Pretty scary... as you know. So if you have the chance please consider the benefit you could be to others.

Aug 18, 2011, 04:15 AM
    Just so grateful to stumble on to the website. And what a big help you were dr. bill. Thanks for everything. I now know my rights and what I can do if things go wrong. It has empowered me as a patient. Too many people seem to get kicked around by these pain clinics. It's just awful, causing needless suffering to people truly in pain. We are not all addicts, searching for a high. Time the doctors get a little bit more compassionate. And those of you going through the same thing I did, don't give up cause if your right you can fight it. I will keep up with others on this website, no problem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oxycodone And Urine [ 3 Answers ]

How long does it take oxycodone to "show up" in a urine test... and does the urine test show the AMMOUT of oxycodone that one has taken ?

Difference between hydrocodone & oxycodone [ 12 Answers ]

Nobody seems to know the difference between hydrocodone(vicodin) and oxycodone(percocet) besides hydrocodone is a class 3, and oxycodone is a class 2, and that oxycodone is stronger then hydrocodone

Hydrocodone/Oxycodone Allergies the Same? [ 1 Answers ]

I had an alergic reaction to Hydrocodone following a lumpectomy. I was then prescribed Darvocet, which did not work. Will I also be allergic to Oxycodone? Help! I'd really like to sleep tonight. :(

We split and now she says she tested positive for pregnancy! [ 19 Answers ]

My GF and I just split last week, and it was kind of a rough split. We split, after breaking up and getting back together many times over the past 6 months, for good last Friday. I didn't see her or talk to her at all over the weekend (we live in the same building). I see her on Sunday night and we...

Yasmin because, tested positive. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. My wife has been on Yasmin for about 4 months now. She was on Yasmin before we got married for 2 months. Well, she started to feel a little different lately and thought maybe she was pregnant. We didn't think it would have been possible since she was on the "pill". She took THREE pregnancy...

View more questions Search