Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2011, 05:44 PM
    Renew Service plan?
    I have a Frigidaire FA5186N2A A/C unit. It is just shy of 5 years old. It crapped out on me for the second time last weekend. I have a 5 year extended warranty which will expire soon.

The first time it crapped out, the serviceman said it was losing coolant. He recharged it and it was working OK. Then a few weeks ago, it started icing up and I could hear crashing inside when the ice broke up. And then it stopped blowing cold air this weekend.

I have a service call scheduled for next week (still under the warranty).

My question is mainly should I renew the warranty? It will cost about $175 for 3 more years. Or should I just put the money towards a new machine. This is a high powered machine (I think its 18K BTUs) and runs off a 220 volt dedicated circuit. So my replacement options are limited (I did some quick pricing and I'm looking at $400-$500 for a new unit).

I'm also wondering what might be wrong and what should I tell the serviceman to check.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2011, 06:34 PM

For my money I'd go with the next 3 year warranty price of $175. That's not bad for a 3 year warranty. Then in the meantime save up and get a better model when the 3 years are up. If the warranty includes parts and free labor, I'd say go for it.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2011, 05:58 AM
    $175.00 probably won`t pay for even one service call if/when something goes wrong
    I`m sure you meant 4 to 5 thousand for replacement not hundred
    The 175 dollars for 3 years is a good deal

Jul 29, 2011, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop View Post
    $175.00 probably won`t pay for even one service call if/when something goes wrong
    I`m sure you meant 4 to 5 thousand for replacement not hundred
    the 175 dollars for 3 years is a good deal
    No, I meant hundred. This is a through the wall room unit, not a central A/C unit. But thanks, looks like going for a renewal is a good idea.

Jul 30, 2011, 03:44 PM

Bump!

Any other input?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 7, 2011, 08:55 AM
    Hope I'm not too late.
    A new 18,000 BTU for $400-500 sounds cheap to me (not sure these days), and that means high amps. I learned years ago that low amps works out to a huge savings in electric bills, despite higher investment, and they seem to be better made too. I had to have 6.5 amps max where I lived at the time, and the cheapo units were about 12 amps.

Aug 7, 2011, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Hope I'm not too late.
    A new 18,000 BTU for $400-500 sounds cheap to me (not sure these days), and that means high amps. I learned years ago that low amps works out to a huge savings in electric bills, despite higher investment, and they seem to be better made too. I had to have 6.5 amps max where I lived at the time, and the cheapo units were about 12 amps.
    I'll double check that. Right now the unit is in the shop. I'm not expecting it back for a couple of weeks, because Neither my wife nor I can take off any more time which means I have to arrange for a Saturday delivery. I'm pretty much decided on renewing the service contract. just haven't decided for how long.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 7, 2011, 05:01 PM

Scott, I'd go with renewing the contract, that's a good warranty price. How old is the machine now BTW?

Aug 7, 2011, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Scott, I'd go with renewing the contract, thats a good warranty price. How old is the machine now BTW?
    Its only 5 years, which is pretty young for a unit like this.

Aug 8, 2011, 09:47 AM

So by my calc that gives you at least 8 years of AC for under $600 total investment. Not bad

Aug 8, 2011, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    So by my calc that gives you at least 8 years of AC for under $600 total investment. Not bad
    Your calc is off. The unit originally cost me $800 in 2007. Similar units are now about $400-$500. But 8 years for under $1K is not bad.

Aug 8, 2011, 06:05 PM

My bad, thought you paid $400 initially

Aug 13, 2011, 10:18 AM

In case anyone is interested, I got the unit back today and it seems to be working well. And I did opt for the 3 yr extension.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiffin service business plan [ 1 Answers ]

I want to start tiffin service in mumbai .

Where to purchase treo phone without the service plan? [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know where can I purchase a new treo cell phone, for my verizon service, and not renew a contract.

Searching for a prepaid service plan [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is trying to locate a chapter of the Hemlock Society or The Neptune society. Does anyone know of any thing like that in Alabama? We are wanting to get things in order now instead of leaving things to each other or our family. Any help would be appreciated. T

View more questions Search