Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klr5202 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2011, 05:07 PM
    A former boss talking dirt to a new boss
    Good Evening,
    So, I worked for a jewelry store for a few months before relocating to another location to finish college. After I moved, I applied at a competator's company in at a mall store. At my former job, my manager and I did NOT get along. She would constantly change the schedule without telling me or anyone else and I wouldn't show up for work. She'd constantly fight with me over commission and blame me for EVERYTHING that went wrong in the store. I went into the new jewelry store to introduce myself after turning in an online application. The new manager drug tested me, did a background check, and said she would check my references and call me back ASAP. Needless to say, that was 2 1/2 weeks ago. I know the drug test doesn't take that long (cheek swab). I haven't heard a WORD from the new boss. I've called on 3 separate occasions and haven't gotten a call back. Here's the situation, I believe when the new boss called for references, my old boss let her stupid loose gums flap. I do believe this is illegal... does anyone know what legal actions I can take against BOTH companies and managers, both past boss and the new boss?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2011, 05:20 PM

Sorry its only illegal if the old boss lied. And then you would have to prove that she lied. And that you didn't get the job because of those lies.

It is highly unlikely that either of them would admit it.
    klr5202 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2011, 05:28 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Thanks Scott, I was wondering the same thing,. If they would ever actually admit one said something to the other. Thanks for your response!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2011, 05:41 PM

First no action at all against the new boss, and I wish I could be shocked but people always want to sue someone.

A new boss is only checking reference and that is normal

If the old boss lied, and you can prove they lied, and prove that this was the reason you did not get hired, then you could sue.

But the old boss is able to tell anything that happened as long as it is true

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to ask boss [ 5 Answers ]

Hey am fresher working for software company, new to the firm,its been two months I been sitting idle.so can you just tell how to inform that am sitin without any work. Starting trouble how will I start the conversation

Why is my boss doing this? [ 8 Answers ]

I work for this family as their nanny... we have this "best family-best nanny ever" relationship. Isn't been longer, but I'm getting this strong feeling that the father likes me. I don't want to be in such position.. I love my job and want to keep it or leave it with grace and respect. But how to...

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Talking to boss about hated changes to job [ 4 Answers ]

Okay... I need advice. How can I tell my boss that I hate my job? I mean HATE it. I loved it when I started, and now I dread going in every day. When I started, I did some data entry, some paperwork, and answered phones, and generally just helped out where needed around the office. Now...

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

View more questions Search