Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roddilla Posts: 145, Reputation: 3

Jul 28, 2011, 01:37 AM
    Chemistry question about Organic Chemistry
    Could you explain to me why I ended up with two marks out of a possible 6 in these questions? I think that I answered them correctly but I am not sure so I would like your help so that then I may tell my instructor.
    Attached Images

Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2011, 09:47 AM

1) For the first question, you get 3 marks for those:
    1 mark for the reagent A
    1 mark for the conditions
    1 mark for the name of B.

You got the first only, and that... wasn't completely right. Your answers are 'somewhat' good, but cannot be given full marks there.
    1. HCN
    2. In the presence of NaOH as catalyst.
    3. The name is 2-hydroxy-2-methyl-propane nitrile. You forgot the hydroxy part.

2) Same mark distribution here.
    1. Same thing here, you forgot the hydroxy part. 2-hydroxy-2-methyl-propanoic acid.
    2. Reagent: concentrated H2SO4 (which gets your mark, though this might be doubtful given the way (s)he underlined your 'concentrated')
    3. Conditions: Boiled at about 180 C under reflux.
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Jul 28, 2011, 02:37 PM
    Unknown008 is correct in the errors in your names. Compound B is more commonly referred to as "acetone cyanohydrin". You will find many more references to that name.
    To form the cyanohydrin, you really need to use NaCN or KCN ---- you refer to NaOH as a catalyst but, of course, it will react to form the salt. The CN- ion is a much better nucleophile for the addition reaction, and you don't want to use HCN for safety reasons.
    The step to dehydrate the hydroxy acid to MAA seems overly robust, but I can't find any information on the procedure.
    You never answered the question about the addition of HBr to MAA to form compouond E.

Jul 28, 2011, 11:27 PM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    I always mix up alcoholic with alkaline - that's why I said alcoholic HCN; I wanted to say alkaline HCN i.e. HCN in alkaline solution

Jul 28, 2011, 11:29 PM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    Thank you very much for now
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2011, 08:37 AM

DrBob, I think that the last part is on part (c) and I would guess that Roddilla got it right from the sketches :)

Only thing might be the nomenclature again ;)

Jul 29, 2011, 03:18 PM
    I think you added the Br atom to the wrong carbon, Roddilla. There goes another point!
    (HCN in an alkaline solution doesn't exist; it is, and should be called, NaCN or KCN).
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2011, 11:30 PM

Hmm... I find nothing wrong with the products after addition of HBr... :confused:

Or I'm starting to seriously forget my chemistry :eek:

Jul 30, 2011, 11:29 AM
    Methacrylic acid + HBr yields 3-bromo-2-methylpropionc acid (the answer provided on the question sheet seems to imply a mixture, so presumably both isomeric acids are probably formed.)
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2011, 11:41 AM

Yes, there are two sketches, one above, the 3-bromo-2-methyl-propanoic acid and the second is 2-bromo-2-methyl-propanoic acid. Glad I'm not as rusty as I though ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question on structures in Organic Chemistry ! [ 2 Answers ]

3.52 mg of compound "A" reacts with red Phosphorous and Bromine to gine compound "B". Compound "B" on reaction with KCN fives "C" which on hydolysis gives "D". "D" is optically inactive. "D" on mild heating gives "E" & "F". "E" on further heating in presence of Soda Lime gived "F" & "G". Both "F"...

Organic chemistry [ 1 Answers ]

A purified sample of napthalene is grey and has the same melting range as a white purified sample. What causes the grey colour.

Organic Chemistry [ 1 Answers ]

*The mame sec-butyl alcohol defines a specific structure but the name sec-penty alcohol is ambiguous . Explain *write the structure and give the IUPAC systematic name of an alkane or cycloalkane with the formulas - C8H18 that has only primary hydrogen atoms I want to know what they...

Organic Chemistry [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the hydrolysis of 2-iodobutane give a single optical isomer as organic product whereas the hydrolysis of 2-methyl-2-iodohexane gives a mixture of 2 optical isomers?

Organic chemistry [ 2 Answers ]

How can 2-ethylcyclohexane be converted to 1-ethylcyclohexanol and 2-ethylcyclohexanol?

View more questions Search