Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pdr4d Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2011, 06:12 PM
    GE Microwave model JVM1330 not working properly
    PROBLEM:Our microwave stopped working suddenly. It's a GE JVM1330 and was made in 1996. The buttons on the control panel work fine, and the light inside turns on. We can enter a cook time, and it counts down as if it is cooking, but, it doesn't actually cook the food unless we pull the door gently toward us, without unlatching it. I recently put a business card in between the crack of the door, and it worked fine. However, now when I open the door, it sounds as though the microwave is on, even though I press "Clear/off" nothing happens.

I've heard that there are micro switches and one may be bad. My question is how do I get to the switch? Do I have to take it down off the cabinet (over the range) to get to it? Which micro switch is it? And, does anyone have the scematic(s)? Any help would be appreciated?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2011, 06:22 PM

An appliance from 1996 should be thrown out. And being a microwave it should doubly be thrown out. Do not under any circumstances try to repair this yourself. Putting the business card in the door is not a good idea either.

Throw it out and either a) do without this and learn to use the regular stove again or b) buy a new one.

If you start monkeying around with this and open it up you could get quite a whallop from the built up electrical charge. Dumber things HAVE happened with trying to repair microwaves by amateurs. If you do not have the proper tools to demagnatize this appliance do not open it up and try to repair this.

I threw mine away in 2007 and I've actually had my health improve.. The radiation that those machines emit even if they are not on would make you wake up and pay attention. And the older they are the worse they are in emitting radiation.

You are just nuking yourself and your food with this old model.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2011, 08:27 PM
    It lasted 15 years. Not worth repairing because at that age something else may go. HD had a Magic Chef on sale a couple of months ago, 1100Watts, 1.4 cu. ft. for $80. Bought it and sold my old GE for $20 on CL. The monimum repair cost at a service would be $75 or so.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jul 28, 2011, 05:57 AM
    Time to bury that microwave. It is probably a door safety switch but because of the age , it has a very inefficient magnetron in it and that will probably go next. You have gotten your money's worth.

Jul 30, 2011, 02:44 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Thanks, just saw a GE model I will purchase

Jul 30, 2011, 02:44 PM
    Comment on Handyman2007's post
    Thank you - I have purchased a new GE model
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jul 30, 2011, 02:49 PM
    Comment on Handyman2007's post
    Good Deal!!
    DanielY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2011, 01:00 PM
    I had the same problem. I adjusted door latch switch (per GE instruction), it works OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am installing a whirlpool Microwave an oven combo model# rm288pxv5 [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a whirlpool Microwave an oven combo model# rm288pxv5 wiring for electrical outlet has a green, red, white an black. Which one is the hot which is the ground what is the purpose of each wire?

Whirlpool Microwave Model MH6700XM2, How many Watts is it. [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool Microwave installed new in 1986, Model MH6700XM2, Works great. But wanting to upgrade my Kitchen and want to know what Watts it is as I do not want to get a lesser wattage and take longer to warm things up. It will mount in the same place, over the Range. I am looking at a GE...

Lights dim and washer and microwave aren't reciving enough power to operate properly [ 1 Answers ]

Every so often the home lights will dim. The washer and microwave lack the power they need to operate, however they turn on

Microwave not working [ 4 Answers ]

Question what could be the problem for a stainless steel microwave model brand is Emerson the clock is working and programmable,But when I enter time to cook and press start button nothing happens I will not cook at all.

View more questions Search