Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2011, 02:44 PM
    Yeast infection with no symptoms
    I had a doctor's appointment the other day for my pap smear, and while they were doing that they also collected a urine sample. I hadn't expected anything to come back positive because I haven't been experiencing symptoms of anything and I had no reason to think I had anything. And then I got a call back saying that I had a yeast infection. I've been having some discharge, but nothing unusual for me. Since I hit puberty I've had discharge and there was no change in my discharge. I didn't have any unusual odors, itching, burning-nothing at all. I took the prescription my doctor called in and I'm going back next week for a follow up but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this? Is it normal to have a yeast infection with no symptoms? And can any harm come from leaving a yeast infection untreated? Since I wasn't experiencing any symptoms I have no idea how long I'd had a yeast infection.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 03:34 PM

It can happen. Particularly if the infection is rather "new."

To have complications of an untreated yeast infection you would have had to have it for quite a while, and this would include being symptomatic. Should it go untreated for such a long time, it could (albiet rare) spread throughout the bloodstream and affect major organs of the body.
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2011, 03:52 PM

Thanks j. I guess I must have gotten lucky and had it caught before I started experiencing any uncomfortable symptoms.
    Gmawtia Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2011, 11:54 PM
    Hi just curious... My daughter is experiencing for the first time the same and is "freaking out"... Bless her heart, and yours... Not every woman has the "classic/clinical" signs the text book script tested staff at the doctors offices try to imply. To give you an idea of time frame... My daughter thought she has a urinary tract infection, and was downing the cranberry juice, drinking tons of water and blah blah blah that was it.. She had a discharge and a slight odor however... She is a girl... what girl does not have a slight odor and what girl does not have a slight discharge is what she thought...

Here she is three months later... No itching, no pain, nothing out of the norm... And I need to mention she is pregnant so she is "not normal" as her body is freaking out anyway... She asks the OB about the urinary tract infection and they say, let's take a look... Just to be sure you don't have a yeast infection... They are quite normal.

Lucky winner winner! Poor little momma... She has has symptoms unbeknown to her for a few months...

You are cool.. And yes, if untreated candida can affect your organs terribly. We al have a balance within, however at this time, your body is just out of balance. You can help yourself by eating pro-biotics.. They honestly make a difference. IF you find you are prone to yeast infects... Visit your local health food store and talk to them about a candida cleanse to balance you back to where you should be.

Your just like the rest of us gals! Perfectly normal! :o)
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2011, 08:12 PM

So, my doctor called back the other day and said that my pap smear came back abnormal. He said that they tested to see if I had been exposed to hpv and that test was negative. He also asked if I used tampons and when I said yes he said not to anymore. I'm still going back in for my appointment at the end of this week. But I don't even know where to begin asking him questions.

I've never had an abnormal pap smear before. How worried should I be? Could the yeast infection I had cause an abnormal result? What do tampons have to do with it? Is there anything else I need to ask about? I already have another pap smear scheduled for 6 months from now but I don't want to be freaking out until then waiting to see what's going on.

Aug 10, 2011, 04:00 AM
    Hi Again,
    I'm sorry I didn't respond back to your message sooner... I didn't realize you responded so quick.
    Abnormal paps can honestly mean a variety of things... They could come back and say you have what is called at PID with is a pelvic inflammatory disease... Thus scaring the living snot out of you and in essence... It is a medical term of... You have a lot of white blood cells off an infection and the lab cannot figuremit out... HOWEVER they DID rulemout all sexually transmitted diseases... Thus it is just a pelvic infection...
    It could be a bacterial infection, which I cannot see thenuse of tampons causing such as you would be in much greater pain and haver bigger issues if it was caused by that.
    I have had abnormal paps... And then all has been resolved with either medication, cream or follow up.

Definitely ask as many questions that come to your mind. There are no dumb questions... I promise that. Only dumb silence. If you are sexually active, ask if you could be experiencing this abnormal pap result due to your partner not cleaning their genitals well enough.(uncomfortable to ask, yet valid) Ask your doc what exactly came back "abnormal"and have them break it down and explain it to you so you know exactly what they are talking about... Doctors many times toss out the issue yet forget to explain so we understand... Helpcto educate yourself.

Let me know what you learn and I am sure you A-ok :o)

Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2011, 03:00 PM

Went back to my doc, he assured me that for now, since I tested negative for stds and I haven't been experiencing any symptoms of any sort not to worry for now, just to come back in 6 months and call immediately if I start experiencing anything like abdominal pain, unusual discharge, bleeding after sex, etc. he said that there's tons of things that can cause an abnormal result and for now there's nothing to be concerned about.

Aug 10, 2011, 05:41 PM
    Very glad your MD reassured you and said not to worry too. The word abnormal can spark alarm when we don't know what or how. Good deal!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yeast Infection symptoms [ 1 Answers ]

I had yeast infection-like symptoms about four months ago and they were cleared up with Monistat. Would this have happened if the issue was really gonorrhea? I went to the gynecologist recently and I'm awaiting lab results to be on the safe side.

Do I still have a yeast infection? [ 5 Answers ]

Almost a month and a half ago I noticed some itching and my clitoris and labia were really swollen. I decided to take monistat 1 even though I never had a yeast infection before. I didn't notice whether I had discharge or not at this point because of the cream. After taking the monistat I was ten...

Yeast infection? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 7 1/2 months pregnant and I think I might have a yeast infection. Will this go away on its own. Or should I consult my doctor about it?

All test were negative, DR, said yeast infection but no symptoms at all of that [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone I hope you can help me I'm 5 days late on my period went to doctor and said all my blood and urine test were negative my breast are tender and also I'm having dizziness , nausea. The doctor said I have yeast infection but I don't have any itching or no pain urinating I don't even...

Yeast Infection? [ 11 Answers ]

Im 17 years old and for the last couple of days I had discharge that looked like cottage cheese.I told my mother about it and she said it could be a yeast infection.She had bought me some medication that can help the infection in 3 days. On my second day of using it, my discharge suddenly changed...

View more questions Search