Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    culo67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2011, 11:44 AM
    Can a credit card debt from me take money out from my wife paycheck?
    Im not working right now because I had a hernia surgery I have a credir card debt that is trying to sue me. They called my wife at work & they said they can take money away from her paycheck. I was wonder it this true? The credit card is under my name Only?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2011, 01:14 PM

No, it's not true. They can ONLY collect from the debtor, not the debtor's relatives.

I'd speak to your State agency about this threat.

I'd also tell the company to NEVER call her at work again.
    A.Davis Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Aug 4, 2011, 10:27 AM
    Only if your spouse has co-signed for the card. The debt collection agency can not give out any information about your debt to your spouse or any other 3rd party. They can not abuse or threaten you to ruin your credit, garnish your wages, or harass you at work. The also can not call you or your spouse at work. They are breaking laws and you should report them.
    It is also your personal right not to pay them or give them information over the phone. You can tell them not to call anymore and request that all communication be done by letter and ONLY by letter. If you really wanted to be awful you could skip the debt collection all together and just directly pay the company you owe money to.
    If I were you I would try to find the nearest financial justice office or consumer affairs and rights office number and give them a call. These people are abusing the law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued for credit card debt by law firm representing credit card company [ 7 Answers ]

Well, its happened. I have received a summons for a credit card debt by law firm. I have to go to the county court house to talk with the clerk... (not sure what will happen,never been sued before)If I don't go within 20 days, they say they will start proceedings to garnishing my wages. I do owe...

Can they garnish my husbands paycheck for an old credit card bill, in Ga. [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I signed up for the "Consumer Credit Consolidation" a few years ago to get out of debt. One credit card company, after one month, dropped me from the plan because of late payment. Reason being that the money order purchased to send to CCCS turned up missing or stolen, I never found...

Credit card debt vs 401k money [ 3 Answers ]

I have a particular problem and not sure how to handle it. I was let go from my company and am presently waiting for a hearing for unemployment compensation so I have no income coming in. I do not have this months mortgage payment coming due July 1st and I have really good credit and did not want...

Wife being sued for credit card debt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am not from the US and my mother in law told me that the sheriff put a subpoena on her door (for my wife) even though we don't live there anymore. My mother in law says that it has to be delivered in person to the right person, is this true? I wouldn't know. Apparently it is for a...

View more questions Search