Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 07:46 AM
    Bandwidth
    What is bandwidth and how do I get more of it?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2011, 10:31 AM

Consider it how many lanes on the road you are driving.

More bandwidth... more lanes (or a higher speed limit). You talk to your internet providers in your area and see what they are able to offer.

But usually the more bandwidth.. the more its going to cost among any vendors choices.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 11:03 AM

Ohh. I have been watching movies online and sometimes it says I have reached my bandwidth limit and I need to wait 30 minutes. I have the fastest high speed they offer in my town.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2011, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Ohh. I have been watching movies online and sometimes it says I have reached my bandwidth limit and I need to wait 30 minutes. I have the fastest high speed they offer in my town.
    Odd they used those terms... I think based on that statement they should have said data transfer limit. Apparently you have some sort of volume limit on your plan. Like so much data over a given time frame.

Bandwidth indicates speed, such a X amounts of bits or Bytes (not the same) per second.

VS a transfer limit of say X mega or gigbytes per hour week or month.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2011, 11:50 AM
    Check out your Internet plan with your provider, they likely have some mention of data caps. You're lucky they gave you notice, some just start charging you overage fees and surprise you with the bill. I have Bell-Aliant and bittorrent quite a bit and have never seen any cap whatsoever.

It's possible the message comes from whatver you use to watch movies online and not your ISP.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 12:07 PM

Yea, when I looked a little deeper, it's not from my provider, it's from the movie site, they want me to buy a subscription for $9.99/mo :s the movies are constantly buffering and stalling, so I think I will stick with my freebie sites.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 04:24 PM
    What is bandwidth and how do I get more of it?
    Sounds greedy to me ? DO you want to consume the whole internet or just part of it so we can play too ?

What's going on is that many sites that share movies want you to buy and give you a chance to try it out first. Its just the odd way they have it written. If as mentioned your provider starts capping you what you will see then is a slowdown in your internet. But if you have high speed and you're the only user you may not even notice it unless you have multiple things going on that are bandwidth intensive like watching movies AND downloading music AND games all at the same time.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Sounds greedy to me ? DO you want to consume the whole internet or just part of it so we can play too ?
    This was a joke right? :confused: I just want to watch a movie now and again. I didn't know it would effect/affect anyone else. I don't want ALL the bandwidth, just more...
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 04:37 PM
    This was a joke right? :confused: I just want to watch a movie now and again. I didn't know it would effect/affect anyone else. I don't want ALL the bandwidth, just more....
    Yes it was a joke... sheesh ;)

It would be impossible to suck the internet bandwidth dry. Lol

The "whats going on ..." is my explination of what's happening in your situation.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 04:39 PM

Ahhhh! Thank you. I am a little on edge... Sorry :o

I get it now.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2011, 07:03 PM
    Yes it was a joke ..... sheesh ;)

It would be impossible to suck the internet bandwidth dry. lol

The "whats going on ..." is my explination of whats happening in your situation.
    I agree... trust me.. I've tried.:D
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2011, 02:26 AM
    It would be impossible to suck the internet bandwidth dry. lol.
    It's not crazy talk - Netflix may crumble under its success due to bandwidth issues it may cause.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 28, 2011, 11:17 AM

What about movies that just constantly buffer all the time? What can I do about that? They buffer like every 5 seconds, and then they stall and I have to wait forever just for it to restart for it to buffer some more.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2011, 11:42 AM

Means you download it slower than the data rate the movie is encoded at... and needs to play uninterrupted.

Like comparing drinking beer with a straw... vs chugging it from a mug.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 28, 2011, 11:49 AM

Even if I am not downloading it? I am just watching it.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2011, 12:24 PM
    Even if I am not downloading it? I am just watching it.
    Watching it IS downloading it ( you are talking about streaming movies online)... and far more sensitive to when the speed slows down..

If you have a copy or not when you are done means nothing.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 28, 2011, 01:27 PM
    What about movies that just constantly buffer all the time? What can I do about that? They buffer like every 5 seconds, and then they stall and I have to wait forever just for it to restart for it to buffer some more.
    You can also increase the size of your buffer. Try right clicking on the movie screen and you should see a menu. It will be in there. Another thing is to allow the movie to catch up. Like get it started then hit pause. Go make popcorn or goodies or snacks then come back and push play. You should have enough movie to enjoy it without interuption.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 28, 2011, 04:18 PM

Thank you guys! What would I do with out you? And they say all this technological stuff is for the new generation. ;) :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bandwidth limits [ 2 Answers ]

Hey we are currently paying for 1.5 megbit internet but I have never seen it hit over 800kbps is it something on our end or would it be the service provider

Bandwidth [ 2 Answers ]

Yes hello I am deployed in iraq right now and we have internet in our rooms well I just want to know can someone steal any bandwidth from our internet satlite dish .and if they are .I would like to know how to turn them in .thank youi

Bandwidth check. [ 12 Answers ]

Since dropping my bandwidth from 2G to 1G the drop in download speed has dropped more than I think it should! - At 2G I was downloading video at average 130 kb/s - Since I've dropped to 1G the download for normal program files is now about 16 kb/s and I was getting better than this on my old...

Bandwidth [ 3 Answers ]

Hi pals I heard stealing bandwidth is a crime. What is this bandwidth? How can someone steal bandwidth?

View more questions Search