Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    My-Brain-Is-Full Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 31, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Incumbent firms
    Quite simply, I don't understand why incumbent firms are called "incumbent" firms. I suspect everybody else knows, so please fill me in if you get a chance.
    Logan82 Posts: 27, Reputation: 5

Jan 31, 2007, 09:59 AM
    The term 'incumbent' in itself means quite a few things... so without the actual sentence or context of the subject it is hard to deciper the term. But as far as my guess goes as 'incumbent firm' means one of these 2 things -
    1) Is a company that offers it's service in a particular field/ to a specific market. Basically it's a company that might have a strong hold in it's area of operations.
    2) Is a dependent company - A company that depends upon some kind of organization/company... to operate.

I know that both the answers vary a lot, but like I said the term 'incumbent' in itself means a lot of things.
    According to the dictionary it can mean either of 2
    1. Holding an indicated position.
    2. Resting, lying, leaning, or pressing on something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firms [ 3 Answers ]

Discuss how firms raise capital, and the role of intermediaries.

Audit firms... [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone give me any specific website(s) where I can find History of Ernst & Young in Malaysia? What are the current developments in this firm? Any urgent reply would be appreciated. Thanks a lot and hope to hear the answer very soon.

View more questions Search