Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mom2kylie2006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Wonderful fiancé wants to adopt my daughter
    I have been dating this wonderful guy off and on for about a year now. The times we broke up were my fault. He is going in the army in the next month or so. He wants to get married the day he graduates from bct, and he also wants to adopt my daughter. I know who her father is and he pays child support, but he is not listed on her birth certificate because he wasn't present for her birth. Rueben wants to adopt her by the time she is 2. well her 2nd birthday is fast approaching(july 22) and I know that kylies father is in iraq and isn't expected back until July or August. He doesn't want anything to do with her. He hasn't made any attempts to be a part of her life since she was born. So I don't think he will fight too hard. I just want to know if anyone knows about how much money and what steps we will have to take. I have an affidavit of parentage instead of his name being on the birthcertificate. I would rather have a man who loves her as his own and wasn't even there to conceive her then to have a man paying support who doesn't even care if she is alive and well.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 10:36 AM
    The fathers name on the birth certificate has no bearing on this,

For the adoption the father of the child will have to give up all his righs.

You will need to hire an attorney who will do the paper work, the child's father will have to sign the documents and return them to the lawyer or court. But you can not really start the procedure till you are married, and your husband will need to appear in court most likely.

I also would say if this has been "off and on" are you sure at this point to jump into even the marriage, since he will be off to AIT for a few months most likely. And I will be honest men change during basic training and AIT so often waiting till it is over and seeing if things are still OK, can save a lot of heartache latter.

Also I will note that the adoption most certainly should wait, the girl will not know the difference and then it can be done when he is finsihed training and you are living together.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-husband!Can he adopt my daughter [ 2 Answers ]

I had my daughter in 1997 and became involved with my high school sweatheart again after having her which we started talking again when she was a couple months old. We then moved in together and got married in 2000 we got divorced in 2001 he is still a part of my daughters life and she believes he...

How Can My Hubby Adopt My Daughter? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, If anyone can answer this I would appreciate it a lot. How can my husband adopt my daughter? Her biological father is not on the birth certificate, would this make it easier? The only father she knows is my husband. Please advise, Thanks! Sincerely, Andrea Lewis

Husband adopt my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

I just got married and I have a two year old daurhter that's albino by a nothere man and my husband would love to asopd her. We have a nothere girl that's his and we want both of them to have to same last name. But the bad thing is I can't find my older darhters real dad but he's not on her papers...

How can my husband adopt my daughter? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband would like to adopt my daughter.She just turned 2 this Nov. but my husband was there for me through my pregnancy and her birth.He has raised her ever since.There is no father listed on the birth certificate but I think I know who the real father is.He is convicted of sexual assault of a...

How can my spouse adopt my daughter? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I would love to have some advice on how my spouse can adopt my daugther. I am currently 7 months pregnant and my daugther is due Feb 15th 2007. My spouse is not the babies father, but would love to adopt her as his own. He is in the military and has been in for 10 years. I do know who the...

View more questions Search