Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Cleaning fiberglass shower pan
    I just regrouted a shower area and it turned out great. However, the home has a MUSTEE fiberglass shower pan. The pan is showing staining and discoloring in the foot traffic area. I have tried Tilex and many other shower cleaners with no improvement on the staining. I'd appreciate any advice to clean this pan.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jan 31, 2007, 02:17 PM
    I've had good luck by filling a tub with hot water and a detergent (Mr Clean, Fantistik), letting it sit overnight, and then scrubbing with a brush. The ones I've seen have a texture and the brush is important to get in the depressions. If you can let it sit longer, so much the better. Good luck.

Jan 31, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Thanks for the response, this is a shower pan not a tub. I can't close a drain but maybe a can try to create a plug or dam. I even tried cream of tartar and peroxide which is a well known home brew. Not much improvement.
    shudama Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Feb 6, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Try CLR sold in hardware stores in grey plastic container. For a shower pan, lay a paper towel over the stain and pour just enough clr to soak the paper. Leave overnight.

Other thngs that might work are chlorox, oxolyc acid, or phosphoric acid. All are used some way for cleaning ceramic tile and fibreglass. Depends on the stain.

Feb 7, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Thanks, I tried Ajax with bleach. I dampened the shower pan , sprinkled on a heavy coat of AJax and dampened some more. After an hour I use an automotive buffer on the pan and it looks acceptable.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Ballenger, what a great idea! Just goes to show you if someone is determind enough and has the brain power, they will find a solution! :)

Those fiberglass pans are a real problem. Looks beautiful initially but over time, they do collect stains. I always found that if I ran hot water over the pan then plugged up the drain, so there is only a very small amount of hot water sitting there, used liquid Clorox tub and tile cleaner with bleach extremely liberally (making sure it covers the surface completely) and let it sit for 24 hours, it takes out the stains so they aren't noticeable. But next time I find myself in that situation, I might give your idea a try! It is a lot more quick.
    ScottLwood Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2007, 04:42 PM
    You might also try GEL GLOSS, it will clean and polish at the same time, just be careful because it will make the bottom slick. Its just like waxing a car.

Feb 10, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Gel gloss was good for removing the scum and mineral deposits but did nothing to the darl stain embedde in the fiberglass. Soaking in Ajaw w/bleach did the trick and left no slippery siurface.
    granny4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 05:30 AM

Fume free oven cleaner in the blue can.Spray leave over night,next day just rinse.Beautiful white and clean even the indentions making the bottom slip free.

Sep 4, 2009, 11:40 AM

This was 2 years ago. Problem long since fixed
    curtwa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 05:20 PM
    Clorox CLEAN UP spray cleaner made my grimy black stained shower pan WHITE as driven snow. I sprayed it on twice a day for three days. No scrubbing, the dirt would be rinsed off through normal shower usage
    rubberduck2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2012, 12:10 PM
    I was told to use FSR Fiberglass stain remover sold online and at marine supply shops. Jelly form. Giving it a try as son as I can. If anyone here has tried this, let us know how it works! 1/6/2012

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing a Fiberglass Shower [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom and plan to tile the floor and shower stall. The shower currently is a fiberglass (3 piece?) surround. Any tips on removing the wall panels and shower base? Thanks

Replace concre-tile shower with new shower pan [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing my concrete-tile shower with swanstone 32x60L shower base. The new drain location will be around 4" away from the original drain location. What should I do? Can I use the existing P-trap with the new drain location by connecting them using a horizontal PVC pipe? Or do I have to...

Fiberglass shower pan removal [ 2 Answers ]

Help! It is ready to come out. Do I have to remove drain first. How do I remove pan? Pry it out or does it need to be cut with circular saw first? It is on upper floor of tri level not acessible from underneath. Thanks.

Leaky fiberglass shower [ 5 Answers ]

We remodeled our home recently and this included removing a tile shower and replacing it with a fiberglass shower which was on the second floor. The installation was done by a plumber. We noticed it leaking almost from the start. It drips into the room below down the ceiling fan only when my...

Fiberglass Shower Leak [ 2 Answers ]

My second floor fiberglass surround shower is causing a leak from the first floor ceiling. I don't know what to start with to try to fix it. I hope someone can help me.

View more questions Search