Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2011, 04:49 PM
    Do you think polygamy is wrong or right?
    Warren Jeffs is an unusual man in that he has several wives and lots of children. Do you think it's wrong of him to live this kind of lifestyle? Would you do this if you had the chance?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2011, 05:53 PM
    Depends on how "Mormon" you feel. In the Old Testament, even the good guys had many wives. I have enough taking care of 1.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2011, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Warren Jeffs is an unusual man in that he has several wives and lots of children. Do you think it's wrong of him to live this kind of lifestyle? Would you do this if you had the chance?
    Difficult question but in these days of everyone wanting to live as they please it comes down to his ability to support his family and not rely on government handouts. Such a lifestyle should not be supported by government. Laws preclude legalising such a lifestyle. I would not do it as I have found one family presented more than enough problems to occupy my waking hours without adding to the burden
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 25, 2011, 06:36 PM

I'm fine with it, as long as everyone has a choice in the marriage, and everyone is of age to make that decision.

Marrying 13 year old children (or younger), I'm not okay with that.

I myself wouldn't be comfortable with having a sister wife. I am a one man woman, and I would like my man to be a one woman man, which thankfully he is. :)
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2011, 07:04 PM

The only one major drawback I can see is if the man worked at a job, paid in enough to collect disability, then got the disability, how much would the government pay to HIS wives and children? Probably as much as we send to one single country in a year!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 25, 2011, 07:51 PM

First there is nothing "immoral" in my opinion and can find nothing in the bible against it.

Second, would have no interest in it personally,
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 25, 2011, 07:56 PM

It would be nice to divide up all the childcare and housework, but polyandry would be more fun.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2011, 08:18 PM

I'd like to have several husbands to nag - more fun for me in the long run. Not too many kids though.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jul 25, 2011, 09:57 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with ANY relationship between fully consenting adults.

If all the adults involved knew what they were getting into from the beginning, and continue to have the right to leave and/or make decisions within the relationship, then it's their choice.

It's only when there are minors, persons incapable of making their own informed decisions, or coercion/abuse involved that I think there's something wrong. Those are the types of polygamous relationships that get the most media, and what color the popular opinion of the practice. There are healthy and unhealthy polygamous relationships, just like there are healthy and unhealthy relationships of every kind.

A few thousand years ago, having more than one wife was a status symbol. It meant that the man was able to provide for all his wives and children. A man would take on additional wives ONLY when he was able to provide food, shelter, and protection for them. It wasn't like the compound situations where large, polygamous families are living off government funds, like the media likes to show.

Now, all that being said, few people could actually handle a polygamous relationship. There can't be any jealousy issues, and every major decision has to be made as a group.

I do want to clarify one thing, though. The actual mormon church (the church of jesus christ of latter day saints) does not condone polygamy. They did away with it in order for Utah to become a state, and any member found to be practicing it is excommunicated. The cases that make it to the media are probably members of splinter groups that use the mormon name without actually being recognized by the main body of the church.

Also, there's a difference between polygany, polyandry, and polyamory. Polygany is the practice of one man having multiple wives, who treat each other as sisters (there is no romantic or sexual relationship between the wives). Polyandry is the practice of one woman having multiple husbands, without there being a romantic or sexual bond between the men. Polyamory is the practice of three or more people (regardless of gender) being in a committed, romantic, and sexual relationship with each other (in which everyone is involved romantically and sexually with all members of the relationship).

Polygamy is the generic term for any relationship in which one person is married to multiple partners, without those partners having romantic and/or sexual bonds to each other.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 25, 2011, 10:48 PM

If a guy is crazy enough to pursue his happiness with a harem, go for it. My wife is sitting next to me so that's all I got, but honestly, I already have my hands full, and I just ain't that crazy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it polygamy? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay so I know what monogamy is, but I am wondering what it's called when a husband and wife are okay with having multiple sex partners. I thought it was polygamy, but when I looked it up it said that its when they are married to more than one person. Any ideas?

Baby Mama Drama & Was I Wrong, & Was My Boyfriend Wrong? [ 31 Answers ]

3 threads merged and edited baby mama drama, all messed up! Ok, Me and my boyfriend started going together on August 1st 2007, on September 27th 2007 the girl he dealt with before we got together called him and told him she was pregnant and that the baby might be his but she didn't know if...

I need some one to tell me what's wrong and if any thing is wrong [ 12 Answers ]

My Partner And Me Have Been Having Sex For A Year Already But For 3 Months He Has Done It With Out A Condom And I Have Not Gotten Pregnant And We Really Want To Be Parents. What Is Wrong?:(

Polygamy fueling Ariz. [ 8 Answers ]

Border community where cousins marry has highest incidence of rare illness COLORADO CITY, Ariz. - In a dusty neighborhood under sheer sandstone cliffs studded with juniper on the Arizona-Utah border, a rare genetic disorder is spreading through polygamous families on a wave of inbreeding. ...

Wrong place at wrong time [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend...

View more questions Search