Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 26, 2011, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    I'll be rafting through the Royal Gorge in a few weeks, is the Arkansas River high and fast again this year?
    That sounds lovely! Have fun!

I haven't been that far south this year, but I believe that they're not as lucky with rain as we have been. But this video from July 5 this year might be a good indication of how the river is doing!
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2011, 10:22 AM

Looks like it's moving pretty good again, should be a blast. :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2011, 11:32 AM

Well, thank goodness anthropogenic global warming is not behind this heat wave.

New NASA Data Blow Gaping Hole In Global Warming Alarmism

NASA satellite data from the years 2000 through 2011 show the Earth’s atmosphere is allowing far more heat to be released into space than alarmist computer models have predicted, reports a new study in the peer-reviewed science journal Remote Sensing. The study indicates far less future global warming will occur than United Nations computer models have predicted, and supports prior studies indicating increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide trap far less heat than alarmists have claimed.

Study co-author Dr. Roy Spencer, a principal research scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville and U.S. Science Team Leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer flying on NASA’s Aqua satellite, reports that real-world data from NASA’s Terra satellite contradict multiple assumptions fed into alarmist computer models.

“The satellite observations suggest there is much more energy lost to space during and after warming than the climate models show,” Spencer said in a July 26 University of Alabama press release. “There is a huge discrepancy between the data and the forecasts that is especially big over the oceans.”

In addition to finding that far less heat is being trapped than alarmist computer models have predicted, the NASA satellite data show the atmosphere begins shedding heat into space long before United Nations computer models predicted.
    Carry on.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 28, 2011, 12:51 PM

That doesn't mean you can keep polluting the planet. That's like a dog owner telling you the poop in your yard won't hurt anything.

He is right until you step in it.

Hey, shouldn't this be in the "Climate Change " thread? You can't stay in first place like that! Someone may sneak up on you!! :eek::D;)
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2011, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    That doesn't mean you can keep polluting the planet. That's like a dog owner telling you the poop in your yard won't hurt anything.

He is right until you step in it.
    LOL, really? How many times must I say pollution is a bad thing before you and ex stop putting out that straw man? Oh, and I'm a dog guy, I have 2 beautiful Blue Heelers.

Hey, shouldn't this be in the "Climate Change " thread?
    We can put it there, too.

You can't stay in first place like that! Someone may sneak up on you!! :eek::D;)
    Apparently I can, been there for months with usually about a 10 point lead. :D
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 28, 2011, 01:32 PM

Nice find, Steve, thanks!

Not buying into this man-made global warming sensation does not necessarily mean that one has a propensity to pollute.

I love the environment and wish to treat it very well, but I have always found Al Gore et al's nonsense to be... well... nonsense.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2011, 01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by southamerica View Post
    Nice find, Steve, thanks!

Not buying into this man-made global warming sensation does not necessarily mean that one has a propensity to pollute.

I love the environment and wish to treat it very well, but I have always found Al Gore et al's nonsense to be...well...nonsense.
    You're welcome.

Yeah, The Goracle's stuff is nonsense, but it's making him a very wealthy man at least.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2011, 03:51 PM
    Oh horror not another report of an error in the data used in modelling climate effects of CO2. Al Gore will be devistated
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2011, 05:36 PM

As I've noted before, there are two debates here:

1: The scientific debate, which is fascinating and will take years to resolve because of the complexity of the question, and

2: The political debate, in which politicians offer up simplistic and poorly thought out approaches, such as cap-and-trade, which is rejected by most economists.

By the way, the funny thing about cap-and-trade is that you can turn the alarmists' arguments back on them. The alarmists love to state that there is a consensus among scientists on anthropogenic global warming. Well, there's a consensus among economists that cap-and-trade is the wrong way to go about regulating carbon emissions.

The economists agree that, assuming the goal is to reduce carbon emissions for whatever reason, a carbon tax would be a far more efficient means of achieving the same end. And they also agree that if that tax were offset by cuts in the income tax, the effect on the economy would be positive.

Why haven't we seen that idea pushed by the Democrats? Simple. Under such a plan, the Democrats would have to pay their fair share of the cost, just like the Republicans.

The Democrats argue that such a plan would represent a tax break for the rich. It does. But so what? If you're really concerned about the planet, you won't mind charging the middle class and the poor more for their electricity. That's the only practical way to get them to use less.

But that's politics - not science.

As for the science, it is way too early in this debate to base any political action at all on it.
    Further proof the climate is too complex to be easily modeled | NJ.com
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2011, 07:22 PM
    Tom you worry me this idea of a carbon tax is being implemented in Australia under the conditions you suggest. Your politicians might be sensible enough to realise that wealth distribution in the form of taxing corporations to give a tax break to individuals is a stupid idea that will backfire. As present events have demonstrated once you give a tax break you can't take it back. We don't want the poor to use less electricity Tom we want the corporations to use less electricity. This is a mindless debate because it is premissed in a lie. The lie is that man can control weather outcomes by reducing CO2 emissions. So, Tom, as the little red fox and the Australian government spend squillions this week trying to convince a skeptical population that less equals more, keep your eye on this social engineering experiment because there but for the grace of God go you
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2011, 03:29 AM

We in the US are surrounded by this . US airlines are in International Court over EU trying to compel them to comply with EU carbon taxing .
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2011, 05:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    We in the US are surrounded by this . US airlines are in International Court over EU trying to compel them to comply with EU carbon taxing .
    Hey we all have this little problem of the EU pushing airline prices because of the perspective of Carbon Taxes, now in past centuries we would have had a gun boat diplomacy over this issue

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best beach communities east coast? [ 4 Answers ]

Looking to move to southeast coast. I visited many different places but not for long. Any ideas for a place to settle down with family?

East Coast Schools. [ 2 Answers ]

So I have been thinking about heading to the east coast for school.. Or just back east. I am from California, and just want to switch things up a bit.. I want to study US Hist but because teaching jobs won't be redily available I also was thinking about things.. I am interested in politics, public...

Looking to find an East Coast school in education. [ 1 Answers ]

I am majoring in ECE/ECD and am obtaining a AS in early childhood education and want to transfer to an east coast university or school where I can obtain a BA in early childhood education or psychology. Anyone have any ideas where I should attend? Or a school I should look into?

East Coast Universities/Colleges [ 3 Answers ]

I am considering going to an east coast college. My dream college is Brown but I need to keep my options open. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to other universities.

View more questions Search