Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redman32m Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 07:46 AM
    15.5 briggs & Stratton "Craftsman Riding mower
    I have a Craftsman 42" Riding mower that's approx 5-7 years old. It runs great when it runs, but when I try to start it up is when I run into trouble.

Ive replaced the battery... brushes in the starter... fuel filter... cleaned all the battery connections including the ground on the frame.

It cranks slow like a car would ,if the timing was not set properly.

Once the mower is running... it will start right up and go. Its when it sits for a period, that the problem with the slow cranking starts. Ive checked the battery level ,after sitting and its fully charged, so I don't think its an electrical problem.

Please offer some advise to keep this mower running.

Thanks!! Rich
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Check you oil level to be sure you don't have raw gas leaking past the float bowl into the crank case. I ran into this recently on a mower with a Kohler engine. It cranked slow because the gas filled the crank to the point that the parts had no place to move. Just a thought.
    redman32m Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Check you oil level to be sure you don't have raw gas leaking past the float bowl into the crank case. I ran into this recently on a mower with a Kohler engine. It cranked slow because the gas filled the crank to the point that the parts had no place to move. Just a thought.

I checked the oil level as you mentioned... The oil level looked fine. I didn't smell any gas in the oil?

Any other thoughts
    eclectic Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Rich
    I think your problem is the 15.5 briggs engine and the soft camshaft that were in the early engines. Replacement is the answer. Check with small engine repair person about this.
    Nolen
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2007, 11:40 PM
    Is it a OHV engine? Have the valves (rocket arms) gapped per that engines specs (usually in the engine owners manual, from the briggs website... ) while your there you can check and see if your getting good valve travel (the pushrods opening the valves all the way)
    mrfly Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Sounds like a bad cam shaft or on some briggs engines there is a compression release tab on the cam that goes bad
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Well, it could be the camshaft compression release, or it could be the valves out of adjustment.
    boxblade22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2008, 08:02 PM
    When your mower sits and all the oil has run back down to the oilpan the older and spread piston rings are creating more friction on start-ups. Try using a synthetic oil or adding Slick-50 to existing oil to always keep all parts lubed during non use times and off season. Good luck, Paul T.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Riding Lawn Mover with Briggs and Stratton 14 HP motor [ 8 Answers ]

I have a riding lawn mover with a 14 hp briggs and stratton engine. I cannot read the model number and I need engine parts (intake valve and keeper). How can I order a part if I don't know engine model??

Craftsman Riding Mower [ 6 Answers ]

I Have A Craftsman 11 Hp Riding Lawn Mower That Won't Even Crank.I Have A Good Battery Clean Posts,power To The Starter But When I Push Clutch In To Crank,nothing Happens.what Am I Doing Wrong?

Craftsman 11hp riding mower [ 5 Answers ]

I have a friend who has an old Craftsman 11hp riding mower and is having some problems. The ignition switch was broken and has been started with a screwdriver until it finally broke. I got a replacement switch today and installed it and now as soon as it is put in the "on" position the engine...

Craftsman 14.5 hp riding lawn mower [ 3 Answers ]

I bought it used it seemed OK,but now I have loss of power.I NOW have a brand new battery.What can I do to the engine or carburator to fix problem?How do I properly adjust carb?Should I overhaul the engine?I haven't found a rebuild kit for my B&S engine(14.5) Any help would be great.Somone told me...

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower Warranty [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to purchase a Craftsman 4000 Riding Lawn Mower, and am wondering if it is worth the money to purchase the 3 year extended warranty? Can anyone advise?

View more questions Search