Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    locs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2011, 07:36 PM
    Girlfriend can't get over the fact that she's not my first
    I have been dating my girlfriend for over 2 years now. But she can't get over the fact she is my 6th girlfriend this may sound childish but she always feels number 6. I was her first boyfriend, and feels insecure about herself. Its sweet that she wants me "all for herself" but this keeps destroying beautiful moments. How do I make her feel special? And how would she get over my 5 exes?

Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 23, 2011, 07:49 PM

What would her being your first get her? A crown? A toaster? A new car?

In other words, what difference does it make? And no, there's no way you can get her past this. You can't rewind the tape. This is work she has to do on her own.

I'm guessing she's maybe 16 or 17?
    locs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2011, 07:55 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    She's 18 I'm 20
    Lyra123 Posts: 184, Reputation: 42

Jul 23, 2011, 08:37 PM

I had a boyfriend who was like this. I was his first everything and he was my first nothing. He held it against me for the entire time we were together and that was only up until recently. That was over a year and a hallf of being criticized for my past. You can't make her get over it. SHe needs to do it herself.

Is this causing stress for you? I'm sure it is. Tell her so, if she doesn't stop it will push you two apart.
    jessicaliza Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2011, 12:48 AM
    Tell her not to feel insecure. Yes she may be your 6th girlfriend, but that's just a number. Remind her you're with her because of who she is, not who your ex's were. You may have 5 ex girlfriends, you may have hundreds, but they are part of your PAST and nothing can change that. Live for the moment and remind her that she is your present, and hopefully your future!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 24, 2011, 01:01 PM

How do I make her feel special? And how would she get over my 5 exes?
    You don't! This is something SHE must overcome and deal with. All you can do is be firm and tell her that she is turning you off with her insecurities, and unless she gets her issues under control, your patience will run out, and you are out of there.

If your honesty cannot bring about the motivations for her to change, then your choices have narrowed to accepting her behavior, and letting it run amok and destroy your attraction to her, OR just leave, and find a healthier partner, who is more emotionally mature.

Stop half stepping, and tell her how you really feel. If she can't deal with the truth, then look for #7.

Sorry guy, either she works with you, or she don't
    UrbanElevenx Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2011, 06:09 PM
    Cook her a lovely meal. Sorry my english is bad
    JhonnyDoeson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2011, 12:55 PM
    I personally don't understand how you have had 5 ex's in your life. Either you aren't a very serious individual and she feels slighted in the sense that she didn't get to "play the fields" before settling down the way you did, or you just suck at picking partners and this one will end up your 6th ex. The amount of women you have been with in such a short time is very concerning if your intentions WERE indeed serious in the past. She should feel resentment for you. Instead of acting like she's going overboard or blowing off her emotions you should tell her the ways she is different/better then the girls in your past. Tell how bad your last relationships were and how they hurt you (because if you were serious then the breakup DID hurt you) If you aren't that serious then tell her, break up with her, and stop playing with her emotions so you can go bang more loose chicks and catch an STD's.

p.s. I joined this site JUST to give this answer to your question. People these days don't know what a real loving relationship is about, and it sickens me. My girlfriend use to have a boyfriend 2 years before she was with me, the reason they didn't stay together is because he was a jerk and it went sour. I hold no grudges because of that fact, and neither should your GF if you talk things over to her properly.

Seriously man, 6? Were you a player or something?
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Aug 3, 2011, 01:40 PM

JhonnyDoeson-While entitled to your opinion, I'm shocked that somewhere in this world there is a place where someone like you can exist.

First of all, the OP in this thread didn't say anything about how serious his past relationships were, how physical he got with them, or anything. Just that they existed. He could be a virgin, and you assume he's infested with STD's and "banging loose chicks".

Furthermore, if he DID have STD's, banged loose chicks, and had 50 exes, you have absolutely no right to judge him. He loves his girlfriend, wants her to feel secure and special to him because she IS special to him. What is in his past doesn't matter, AT ALL. As long as he's open and honest about his health and his past (which he is) - he's a good boyfriend.

I would take a man with a crazy history (50 exes, whatever it don't bug me) who loved me and was respectful to others over a snobby and entitled guy like YOU any day.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 02:05 PM

At 20, I am surprised he has not had 10 or more girl friends,

At least one in year of high school, one after he got out and so on. He did not say how serious each was, or that it was a sexual relationship, just that he had 5 other girl friends,

This at 20 is nothing.

The 18 year old is either way to sheltered ( why did she not date before 18 ?) or you live in a culture that is strict
    Lyra123 Posts: 184, Reputation: 42

Aug 3, 2011, 08:55 PM

Really?

I've had a few girlfriends, a few boyfriends. Does that make me promiscuous? No. Does that make me a player? No. Does it mean I am enjoying myself and the company of others? Yes. You don't have to marry the first person you date buddy. Dating is to make mistakes and have fun while you find that one person. More often than not, a person who does not experience "playing the field" grows resentful and ends up breaking off the committed relationship to experience it.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2011, 11:43 PM

Just to add to the advice already given, why not do something together you have never done before, something fun, go to an outside concert, bungy jump,try a new food, at 18 and 20 there are a lot of first experiencess yet to come.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend says she's leaving me? What best way to act now? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I've been with my girlfriend for 7years I'm 32 and she's 25, we have had 2 break ups in the past one was only for a week which was my idea, but then we missed each other so got back together! But the last tine was 2 years ago and that was more serous and we split for 3months but again we...

My girlfriend had sex when she was just 14, why is it so hard to accept that fact? [ 9 Answers ]

I've been with my girlfriend for 6 months now, she's 20 and I'm 21 years old. The first few months was great, until a month ago, while we were drinking with our friends, she got drunk, I asked her a few questions regarding her past. I asked her how many sexual partners she had before me, and she...

Been with my girlfriend for 5 years. How do I know if she's "the one?" [ 11 Answers ]

Obviously the title is a bit naïve - "if I don't know after 5 years, it clearly isn't in the cards." Yet somehow, I continue to hold the belief that I am unique, and the advice of countless random dating websites doesn't quite apply to me. So I figured I'd lay out my issue and see what people...

What is my girlfriend/ex girlfriend thinking? Will she realize what she's lost? [ 44 Answers ]

All right, before I start let me just say that I have been dating this girl for 3 years, ever since we graduated from high school. Background info: We met in high school, I really never knew her up until my senior year. We're both the same age and she sat beside me in class because she taught I...

View more questions Search