Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pashue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 03:53 AM
    I have had same problem with Carrier furnace - don't know model # at this point. After about 20 hours of working, furnace won't work unless blower switch is shut off/on. Or, open door/close it. I was informed by similar help site to replace the surfface heat ignitor, which can break as often as a light bulb. However, instead, I checked furnace door again, and it appeared ajar. I secured door and reset thermostat and re-programed it. It then worked for two days but, then failed again!! One member on this other site said that my HunterFan thermostat does not work with Carrier furnaces for some reason. So, I am going to change the thermostat this weekend and if it does not fix it, then I will have a pro look at it. When furnace shuts down a red lights blinks in round window but I do not know what this means. Air conditioning works fine, too.

Pashue
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2007, 05:57 AM
    I don't think the thermostat is the problem. See here about diagnostic codes.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...tml#post269174
    pashue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 03:52 PM
    What does JUMP the wires mean? :How do I know if the problem is in the thermostat?

Disconnect power at the furnace or breaker box.

Remove thermostat from wall and jump R (Red) to W (White)
    Restore power, did the furnace start to run? If yes the thermostat was bad. If no the problem is in the thermostat wire or furnace.

Disconnect power to furnace again. At the furnace find out how the thermostat is connected to the controls. Again jumper R and W. Retore power. Did the furnace start? If yes the problem was the wire if no the problem is in the furnace.

DOES IT MEAN TO JUST TOUCH EACH WIRE SWITCH ITS POLARITY - WHAT??

PASHUE
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pashue
    What does JUMP the wires mean? :How do I know if the problem is in the thermostat?

Disconnect power at the furnace or breaker box.

Remove thermostat from wall and jump R (Red) to W (White)
    Restore power, did the furnace start to run? If yes the thermostat was bad. If no the problem is in the thermostat wire or furnace.

Disconnect power to furnace again. At the furnace find out how the thermostat is connected to the controls. Again jumper R and W. Retore power. Did the furnace start? If yes the problem was the wire if no the problem is in the furnace.

DOES IT MEAN TO JUST TOUCH EACH WIRE SWITCH ITS POLARITY - WHAT???

PASHUE
    Jump... just means connect R and W wires together. We use jumper wires. A small wire with alligator clips on each end.
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2007, 04:34 PM
    #1 Report Inappropriate Post Warn: (0%) Today, 06:53 AM
    pashue

I have had same problem with Carrier furnace - don't know model # at this point. After about 20 hours of working, furnace won't work unless blower switch is shut off/on. Or, open door/close it. I was informed by similar help site to replace the surfface heat ignitor, which can break as often as a light bulb. However, instead, I checked furnace door again, and it appeared ajar. I secured door and reset thermostat and re-programed it. It then worked for two days but, then failed again!! One member on this other site said that my HunterFan thermostat does not work with Carrier furnaces for some reason. So, I am going to change the thermostat this weekend and if it does not fix it, then I will have a pro look at it. When furnace shuts down a red lights blinks in round window but I do not know what this means. Air conditioning works fine, too.

This is what I wanted you to focus on. I don't think it is the thermostat. I don't know every code for every furnace off the top of my head, so you need to read the codes on one of the furnace doors. If you find the code description I can help you more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Just this week thermostat was not on, flipped circuit(not blown) thermostat went on. Has happened 3 more times today. House is one and half years old. Took cover off checked connections. What is causing this?

Carrier furnace [ 1 Answers ]

My Furnace Is Not Working. I Do Have 24 Volts And When I Turn My T-stat To Heat The Igniter Lights ,I Have A Small Flame But The Gas Valve Doesn't Seem To Be Working. No Heat. Just Flame

Carrier vs. Frigidaire? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a few quotes from some a/c companies to put a new system in my house because my current system is 20+ years old and is working against me at this point. I have propane heat and want to get electric because of the rising gas prices. The total sq. footage is approx 2600... the two estimates...

Carrier Furnace [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking at furnace for a friend. The furnace will come on with that small fan and the pilot will light. However, the burner will not catch. This unit has a igniter I suspect that the igniter is bad. Is there any way to test it?

View more questions Search