Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Jul 23, 2011, 04:03 AM
    Electric Meter how to use
    I a have a lot of electric testers. I have one that looks like a screwdriver
    Using a led bulb. It has a red and black probes. I know how to use it in an outlet.
    But what about just a wire, how do you test the wires themselves to see if one of them is hot.
    Do you take the probe on the wire and the other probe to ground?? To see if the bulb lights up.
    Going to each separate wire.

tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2011, 05:44 AM
    Yes,

Quote Originally Posted by Oneill474 View Post
    do you take the probe on the wire and the other probe to ground???? to see if the bulb lights up.
    going to each separate wire.
    Do you keep/read the instructions that come with all testers and meters?

Test instruments for electricity should not be used incorrectly.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2011, 05:47 AM

Yes, it may be a neon bulb an will light if 1 probe(either), into the hot(small slot on an outlet and the other to neutral(large slot), you should also be able to show voltage when connected to a hot and a ground.
    You can also test for voltage out of each breaker.
    If you connect the probes to a hot and the other to a ground or neutral and it does not light, it does Not mean the hot is not live, you may not have a neutral or ground?
    You can use an extension cord to use as a known good ground, then test for a hot.

Jul 24, 2011, 03:38 AM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    Wonderful answer

Jul 24, 2011, 03:39 AM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    Great comment

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Demand Electric Meter [ 4 Answers ]

My electric billing rate is based on my time of day usage and my monthly peak demand. My electric meter is an older style that uses dials to indicate power usage. It also has a digital display that doesn't display anything meaningful. It appears that there is a port on the front of the glass...

Noise from electric meter? [ 12 Answers ]

I just moved into a condo I'm renting for a month and the first two nights were fine, but on the third night I was awakened by a low humming sound. It actually woke me up. I had no idea what it was and checked the clock, the light, etc. I realized the sound was coming from the wall behind my bed....

Type of wire needed for electric meter [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 100 amp main breaker in my service panel. (not a sub panel). I'm changing the service panel to a newer 100amp panel. So I would like to change the wires coming from the meter outside to the service panel. The current wire is not in any type of pipe. It's three wires wrapped in a weather...

Multipliar 80 electric meter [ 2 Answers ]

Do I pay more on my electric bill by having this multiplier 80? Why do I need it? I recenty bought a commercial building and we want to live in half of it. It's 4,875 sq.ft. Now the electric bill is too high. It increased with winter, using roof heat pump system. Was told these are very inefficient...

Are electric meter sided? [ 6 Answers ]

In other words, given a socket box, does it matter which of line or load is connected one side or the other of the meter? Regards --Campagne

View more questions Search