Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skyrocket Away Posts: 173, Reputation: 6

Jul 21, 2011, 06:25 AM
    Why is my cat acting so scared all of a sudden?
    My cat is Leonard, he's about 2 years old. He is fixed, but has been fixed for over 6 months. Leonard is usually very playful and affectionate. He's actually a little crazy too.(in a good way) He usually sits in the window and stares out at the world or tries to play with bugs that fly by.

Last night my husband and I came home after being gone for less then 30 minutes, he was fine before we left, and he was literally acting like someone had formerly beat him or something(we have never laid a hand on him before). He's been acting VERY jumpy, even jumping and scrunching up from, literally, me lifting my thumb. He won't play with his toys, or eat, or drink, or even use the liter box. He's constantly walking around with his tail down to the ground, or between his legs. Also, his pupils are EXTREMELY dilated. If he walks, he walks really slow and scared. He also shakes non-stop.

I'm really worried about him. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? ):
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 21, 2011, 06:41 AM
    He ate a pill or plant or something toxic, or he's SICK from a medical condition. Do you have an appointment at the vet?
    How was he throughout the night, and how is he now?
    Skyrocket Away Posts: 173, Reputation: 6

Jul 21, 2011, 06:56 AM
    We don't have any plants in our house and he doesn't go outside at all, accept for when we walk in on his leash, and we don't allow him to eat anything that is outside. Also, any pills or anything toxic is located in out bathroom, locked up and he isn't allowed in our bathroom unless we are in there as well.

Throughout the night he acted the same, scared and shaking. He usually sleeps at our feet on our bed, or on our stomachs, and he was too terrified to even enter out room.

I don't have a vet appointment but I am going to make one soon if he isn't better by the end of today ):
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 21, 2011, 10:10 AM
    Yikes. Unless it's a rapid growing brain tumor, all I can think of is something really odd: he knocked something on top of himself while you were gone and is in pain. He was scared by someone outside the window who sprayed him with something awful or shot him with a beebee gun or dart. Someone entered the apartment, a landlord, and stepped on him or hurt him. He bit his tongue (have you examined his mouth to see if a tooth is through his tongue). A piece of glass or metal is in one eye and he's in pain. He was climbing the walls and fell onto something painful. He got an electrical shock (chewed cord, wet outlet, anything).
    Markdav1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2011, 10:00 AM
    My cat has started doing the same thing. Her are dilated and she keeps growling at me. But she is about 5 mouths. I have two cats both 5 mouths both girls. One got out and now the one I'm talking about is doing the same thing your talming about...
    stephanie83233 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2012, 05:54 PM
    My cat just started acting strange all of a sdden staring at walls and running and dilated pupils. I had a bowl full of potpourri used for decoration and sometimes he would play with the bigger pieces and rip them apart.. today I found tons ripped up.. I'm assuming he swallowed some I feel so bad for him I don't know what to do make him drink water? He is hiding from me..
    ittybittybaker1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2012, 02:10 AM
    My cat was fine all day yesterday until the end of the day so lastnight. I picked him up and took him to the place he kept staring at which was under the couch. He was actually very afraid of a stuffed Teddy bear my dog chews up. I'm not sure if that is normal. He has never been afraid of a stuffed Teddy bear before so I have no clue what is going on with him. :(
    annaleemv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2013, 12:38 PM
    This happened to my cat too. We were gone and came home and she was acting neurotic. She was walking really slowly and low to the ground and she was scared of everything. She was taking a different route to her cat tree going behind the TV and alongside the wall. When I picked her up she would leap off me scratching me in the process. She took comfort in being in the hut inside her cat tree so I put her favorite blanket in there. She was eating normally. It scared me so much because she had never in her life behaved that way and she is an extremely laid back cat. She goes to petsmart and sits nicely in the cart and takes car rides around town and is even a certified pet volunteer and visits people. So she did this for two full days and then she was normal again. I only saw one other time that she started to behave this way but not as strongly and not for long. We called the vet when it happened and he said she might have gotten into something but we couldn't find any evidence of this. One idea was that she had a seizure or something while we were gone because she seemed particularly scared of one area. We still don't know why this happened. Another idea is that our vape liquid (nicotine in vegetable glycerin) absorbed into her skin but we didn't have any evidence of this. We just know that nicotine is really bad for cats. Our cat is normal now. I read that hypothyroidism can cause this kind of behavior.
    carleysue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2013, 05:48 PM
    If your cats sick or acting totally strange. Its time for the vet not asking a bunch of strangers and getting a bunch of different answers. Which answer did you choose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat acting Very Odd! HELP [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have a male (leo) cat I have had since a kitten, he’s always been a little odd, he is quarter Burmese, but lately he has been running around the house like a mad thing, jumping up on furniture and suddenly freaking and dashing about like a crazed animal. How ever when I pick him up he calms...

My cat is acting weird and biting all of a sudden' [ 3 Answers ]

It seems as thoght the last couple of weeks our cat has become withdrawn and strated biting me more often; even when we are not playing. I do not know what to do and why he is acting this way. Any ideas?

My cat is acting strange [ 3 Answers ]

I heard my outdoor cat meowing outside... I opened the door... I was thinking she may be hungry so I was getting ready to feed her... once I opened the door she dashed inside... now she is laying on the bed... she is usually not a very loveable cat and now she is letting us pet her and play with...

Cat is acting strange [ 2 Answers ]

Our Persian cat has been yowling night and day for two days. She is eating, etc. but seems not to be resting or sleeping. We have looked her over good, but can not see anything wrong with her. Any answers?

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

View more questions Search