Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SunshineStater Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2011, 04:35 AM
    Turning Off Water Heater To Economize
    I heard that turning off the water heater overnight can save up to 30% on electric charges. We do that and turn it on for a while later in the day. Supposedly it only takes 15 minutes to heat up prior to using hot water.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2011, 04:45 AM
    Anytime something can be shut off, esp something like a water heater that runs automatically, there is a savings.

A 7 day programmable 240 volt time clock can be inserted into the circuit to control a water heater.

This will allow the heater to be shut off when no one is home and/or at night. Have the timer come on about a half hour before you would usually get up.

A 7 day clock will allow you to program weekends different assuming there is someone home.

The water in the tank will cool down a bit, depending on the efficiency of the tank insulation, the tank will heat up in about a half hour, to be safe.

You can do this manualy by shutting of the circuit breaker, you just need to remember to turn it back on when needed.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 21, 2011, 05:22 AM
    40 gallon tank, no more? What is the ambient temperature? There are times it makes sense, but not always. If you are in FL I would say that it would make sense. You could even experiment with turning it off after use in the morning to see how much you have in the evening.

I can run my boiler (oil, tankless hot water) for 2 minutes, take a 10 minute shower, turn off the boiler, and have enough for dishes or a laundry. That's in the summer, in the north.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Heater pilot keeps turning off [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool water heater that is only about 3 years old. About a year after we installed it, we had to replace the thermal couple (I think that's how you spell it) because the pilot was not staying on. Well, it's happening again. When we notice there is no hot water in the house, we go...

Turning on the cold water tap causes the hot water heater to fill [ 0 Answers ]

When I run cold water in my house, or turn the washing machine on to just cold, I can hear the hot water in the tank start to refill. This happens all the time, is there a mixing valve or something that might be bad causing this?

My water heater keeps turning off. [ 6 Answers ]

I have to turn it on at least once a day. I have 3 full bathrooms.

How do I shut off water without turning off water heater? [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a problem with the pipes leading into my kitchen freezing. I need to be away for a few days and would like to turn off the water to the house and drain the lines. The problem is I have a gas hot water heater and turning it off and having to relight it scares the bejezus out of me! :( ...

Turning off Water Heater [ 2 Answers ]

How long can I have the water heater off and the water supply to the water heater off? I can't make repairs right away but I have a serious leak in the hot water faucet in the bathtub so I want to cut off the hot water.

View more questions Search