Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimufo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2011, 12:14 PM
    Can I sue a homeowners insurance for the criminal acts of the renters?
    I am a teacher and I used to teach my neighbors (who rent). I subsequently failed them in Algebra. The last two years have been a living hell. They have terrorized me; vandalized me; and threatened me. They have called the police at least 80 times for egregious lies. They beat up me and my boyfriend on my property and sent him to the hospital. They were charged with battery. Can I sue the homeowner's insurance? Thank you... Kim Hardgrove
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 20, 2011, 12:35 PM

You don't sue someone's insurance company - you sue the person who has caused you damages. In this case you (or your BF) could sue your neighbor for medical costs and (perhaps) pain and suffering for the injuries you suffered at his hands. But be aware that his homeower's insurance does not cover him for being sued for battery, so any money you win in court will have to paid by the person you sue.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2011, 02:49 PM

If you were injured on their property and not your property you could sue them on their insurance policy but since this did not happen on their premises - no you can't do this.

Have you collected up all the police reports on these incidents and retained an attorney to sue them for your medical bills, lost wages, and possible pain and suffering in court? If not, then you need to contact and retain an attorney to handle this for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are the creators of Publius in any way morally responsible for any criminal acts tha [ 1 Answers ]

Are the creators of Publius in any way morally responsible for any criminal acts that criminals are able to carry out and keep secret by relying on Publius ? Is AT & T in any way morally responsible for these

Can I sue my dad's homeowners insurance for my fall resulting in a broken ankle? [ 10 Answers ]

I recently fell and broke my ankle. The accident occurred while I was visiting my parents home. My dad was shampooing the carpet and left a large amount of water on the tile directly below the staircase. As I came down the stairs I slipped on the wet tile and broke my ankle in three places. I...

USAA refused me homeowners insurance [ 7 Answers ]

USAA refused me homeowners insurance because they found a five year old credit card debt of mine that they had written off (5 years ago). I have been (and currently am) a USAA member for 40 years and have had active auto insurnce with them all that time. The cc debt is apparently $6,000. ...

My Dogs & Homeowners Insurance [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I live in the Georgia Area, and my Insurance company just cancelled our insurance because we have Pit Bulls. We just purchased this house last month, and had no idea what to ask for from insurance. My dogs are very loving, and sweet... My children have been close to them for years... I...

Homeowners insurance & uninsured contractors Accidents [ 13 Answers ]

If a uninsured roofer is doing a job on a home and they do not clean up after job isdone leaving all lose shingles on roof, and a person walks past home gets hit with debris and gets severely injured and sues the homeowner and contractor who is liable?

View more questions Search