Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coreno Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2011, 10:04 PM
    My employer won't let me return to work. What are my rights?
    I work in England. I am currently employed in a large national company. I have been on long-term sick for approximately six months. I have been employed for the last four years and work part-time. I now have a "fit for work" note from my GP however my employed insists on an independent medical examination before they will let me return to work.

I no longer receive statutory sick pay but am unable to claim incapacity benefit because I am fit for work. What are my rights, both with returning to work, and with benefits?

Thank you in advance.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 19, 2011, 11:27 PM
    One of the statutory reasons an employer in England can terminate employment is 'capability or qualifications for the job.' That includes health reasons, except pregnancy/childbirth. Whether you would receive company benefits depends on published company policy, as in an employee handbook. Since your sick pay has ended without further benefits such as LTD, I can't imagine that there are any forthcoming, whether their doctor finds you fit to work. As for allowing you back to work, this is also according to company policy. They could have terminated you by statute, but didn't. This does seem to hinge now on their doctor's report, and so the question is can they overrule your doctor's report with their own? I believe they can, but do not see English law on this. Others might.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 20, 2011, 03:43 AM

So you go for the independent exam. Then see what happens.
    rogerica Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2011, 05:23 AM
    Yes you should return in to looking happy and you should go in with benefit
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2011, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerica View Post
    yes you should return in to looking happy and you should go in with benefit
    This is a serious Q&A site. Its nice that you want to help, but your answer makes no sense. You need to post clear answers.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2011, 10:33 AM

So you are well, do they have a reason to believe your doctor lied about you being well ?

So you merely go to the independent doctor, get approved and return to work

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have my rights been violated by my employer? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been working at my job for over a month and the other day when I went to work I noticed that the "Help Wanted" sign was posted up in the window again. I though it was unusual so I asked my store manager if that meant that I was going to be replaced and he said that he didn't think so. I...

Live & work in NY but work for same employer elsewhere.taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in NY and am employed in NY but am sent to work in other states when needed. Am I required to file taxes for every state they send me to work in, or just NY?

MA employer work from home in NH [ 1 Answers ]

My employer is located in MA. Next year I have the option to work on average 3-4 days from home in NH and 1-2 days in an office in MA. Will I have to pay MA state tax? I spend 30% of the year outside of MA and NH (various US, London and Rome - no location more than a week). Does this...

Relocation need to return to employer [ 1 Answers ]

I received $10000 taxable amount from my employer as lump sum relocation bonus in Nov'2005. I signed up a letter with the employer that I need to stay with the company at least for a year. Now I will be changing my job in Feb because of some issues, my employer has deducted tax at 40% rate from...

View more questions Search