Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Papad127 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2011, 09:08 PM
    Portable dishwasher vs spray hose
    Have purchased a new portable dishwasher. Kitchen sink faucet has a spray hose. Installation manual says to disconnect spray hose from the faucet and cap the connection. I also had to remove the swivel aerator. I want to keep both the spray hose and swivel aerator. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Papad127
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 09:32 PM

Well you can't keep the swivel aerator. You must replace it with adapter to connect to the dishwasher. All of these that I've seen also swivel. If you remove the aerator on the swivel, will the dishwasher adapter fit onto the swivel?
    Don't understand why you would have to remove spray hose. Perhaps you have misunderstood the instructions. Instructions may be referring to pull out faucets that have a head that allows you to choose between stream or spray.

I am assuming that you have a faucet with a side spray.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 20, 2011, 08:17 PM

I agree with Harold. If you have a side spray, then there should be no need to remove it. If you want to keep the swivel, just remove it and install the dishwasher adapter when your using the dishwasher then reinstall the swivel when not using the washer right?
    Papad127 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2011, 07:56 AM
    Thanks for your input. The instructions were clear that if the faucet has a spray hose that it must be removed & connection capped. I believe that this is cover the manufacturer in case there is a leak or burst of the sprayer hose or it's connection to the faucet. This could be problem if one has abnormally high water pressure and/or old spray hose.

After inspecting the hose, it's connection and running the dishwasher I determined that the water pressure isn't great enough to cause a problem. However, will not start the dishwasher just before going to bed or leaving house. Will wait for wash cycle to complete first.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 21, 2011, 04:49 PM

Don't understand. The water pressure on a side spray is determined by the water pressure in the house. The dishwasher should have no effect on the spray. Capping the hose would not really change anything. The spray nozzle, when the handle or lever is not pressed is doing the same thing as a cap would do. Capping the spray will do only one thing, prevent you from using it while the dishwasher is in filling. And I can't see how that would affect the dishwasher. I see no risk to leaving the spray. Try the spray while the dishwasher is filling to see if there is any affect. If there is, just don't use the spray during that time.
    MikeyOmaha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 10:53 AM
    Having had two spray nozzles burst and nearly flood my entire kitchen while using a portable dishwasher, I can assure you - it does make a difference. When the portable dishwasher is hooked up and the water is turned on, it creates backpressure on your sprayer hose when the dishwasher is not in a "fill" cycle. This pressure is normally not there - when the water is on, it flows from the faucet unless you squeeze the spray nozzle's trigger. The dishwasher stops the flow of water, but the supply is still on which causes pressure on your sprayer hose. Having the dishwasher hooked up not only puts pressure on the nozzle, it puts -hot- water pressure on it. If you're going to keep the sprayer hose and use a portable dishwasher, make sure you have a hose with a metal sprayer in good condition (plastic ones last maybe a year before leaking or bursting in these conditions), and NEVER leave the dishwasher hooked up with the water on while you're sleeping or away from home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hooking up a portable dishwasher to a 3/4" garden hose spigot [ 8 Answers ]

I've got a doosy... (hopefully it's easier than I've made it). Years ago I installed a portable dishwasher in my kitchen using a 3/4" garden hose spigot because the quick-disconnect that came with the dishwasher had a 3/4" garden hose thread. A few years ago I was forced to buy a new portable...

Do I need to disconnect the spray hose for a portable dishwasher? If so, how? [ 0 Answers ]

My portable dishwasher's instruction manual states that I need to disconnect the sprayer hose before I can use the dishwasher. Some information on-line says I can leave it, others say it should be disconnected. I'm just not sure if this is a "Coffee is hot" type of warning or a legitimate one. ...

Spray Hose on Kitchen Faucet? [ 4 Answers ]

How can I hook up a spray hose to a new kitchen faucet, which was not designed to have a spray hose? Thanks, Kavanaugh

Portable AC Exhaust Hose [ 1 Answers ]

Help! Is there some sort of trick to make the exhaust hose stay in place? Despite my best efforts, it wants to slip out of place both on the back of The portable AC unit as well as from the connector in the window. What am I doing wrong? Any hints or tricks on how to make the connection, ...

Shorten spray hose [ 2 Answers ]

My spray hose on my kitchen sink is too long and continuously catches on the pipes under the sink. I want to shorten this hose, but have no idea how. Any info is appreciated.

View more questions Search