Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 05:24 PM
    Blocking diode, shifting diode on an evenude boat motor
    Old evenrude electric shift. The brown ball ( I believe it is the blocking diode) is smoking. Also, motor does not shut off by key all of the time, but sometimes it does. How do I test the diode, the power in to the diode, and could I just bypass the diode? Any info here would be greatly appreciated. Im a plumber, not a boat mechanic, so please bear with me, as I'm just trying to make an old boat go without having to use my fire extinquisher.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2011, 06:35 PM

I would replace the diode, you can easily test with an analog multimeter, conducts one direction, high resistance when you swap the leads.
    The kill circuit consist of 2 wires at the ignition switch, ground and Mag, when the mag is shorted to ground, it will kill the motor.
    Check your ground connection from the ignition switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a diode for a battery charger [ 5 Answers ]

I have an automotive Exide battery charger Model 15002 that has the connection tab broken off on one of the diodes. I need to replace the diode. It is pressed in and I have removed it. Diameter of the Diode is .500 inches and it is about .250 inches deep. Battery Charger has 3 ranges 75/23/12...

Diode an amplifier? [ 5 Answers ]

Please help me out with answer... Can a diode be used 4 amplification purpose... If yes give me some specific applications... Hope my information is sufficient.:)

Zener diode breakdown [ 1 Answers ]

How zener diode maintains a constant voltage

What size diode for doorbell [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Westminster door chime. I need to replace the diode. What type of diode do I need.

View more questions Search