Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpywanted Posts: 11, Reputation: -3

Jul 19, 2011, 03:28 AM
    I want to paint roof to repair
    My roof does not leak and there is nothing wrong with it except the composite came off and mostly plain black asphalt shingles left. The city fined me because it looks like it may need repair. I told them it does not leak and nothing wrong with it. They said it does not matter if t does not leak--it only has to look like it needs repair.

Friends have leaks in every room, but from the outside it looks OK. It is ridiculous.

I want to paint it and investigating. Roofit looks promising as well as a copper paint and there is Behrs roof paint at Lowe's and someone said to throw aggregateed on it. There is also alluminum paint they say works good on eBay & elastine paint that they say causes water damage.
    I even read about stainig with wood stain.

I don't have the money for a new roof and originally prior to Christmas the city gave me 7 days to fix it in pouring rain. It does not leak. I have never had any problems. I doubt I ever will. The first layer was great and a second layer pur on because family & friends were all doing their roofs and labor was free.

Where can I buy a few shingles that came off right over the gutter. Also how do I replace those? The others I am going to paint as perfectly fine.. I may sprinkle some sand on them--someone said put glass beads in the paint.

Does anyone have a tried and true method to help me. The tallyman is coming back in Oct & so unreasonable to give 7 days & ignore the fact it does not leak. Plus who has money to replace a roof with this economy when the roof does not leak.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 19, 2011, 05:34 AM
    Roofers always have left over shingles. Call around and buy a few packages in your color, and buy a can of roofing cement (black goop), a wide putty knife, and a box of roofing nails, and do the spot repairs yourself.
    Tallyman? Where are you, England, Australia?

Aug 21, 2011, 12:47 AM
    Thanks. Where would you put the roofing cement? Under the shingle & to the roof. Great idea to ask the roofer.

Aug 21, 2011, 12:59 AM
    Roof need repair right above eaves. 2nd layer
    I was looking and someone said use goop of some kind and get new shingles from a roofer--great idea--but I do not know where to put the goop. I went out and looked today & need to know how to take off shingles, where to put the goop and nails. Other person only received one answer so hope I do a bit better or I did ask the guy on the other thread.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 21, 2011, 04:44 AM
    Goop some tar on the roof under where the shingle will be, insert the shingle under the one above it, press it down, put in a couple of roofing nails, and put a dab of tar on top of each one. You can try this with no nails if you want since you can't lift the shingle above to nail underneath, and it's often the nails that cause problems, if it isn't wind lifting the shingles and ripping them off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you paint roof asphalt shingles [ 10 Answers ]

We had a new porch added on front of house (8x6). The roofing shingles they put on are to light compared to the house. Can the new ones be painted darker, so they will blend better with the house roof?

Flat Roof-Paint? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a flat tar roof. Is there a paint to lighten up the black tar?

Roof Repair [ 25 Answers ]

In September there was a huge windstorm and our roof and other property sustained significant damage. Insurance company sent us a check October 1st and it was in my name and my boyfriends name, BUT it appeared he had set up the coverage as if I were his wife with the same last name as his. On...

Faux stone paint and painting safely from roof [ 3 Answers ]

I've heard there is a paint on the market that is suppose to simulate stone (for exterior purposes). Do you know the name and where I could find it? Second question: I'll need to get up on my roof to paint a section of my house. The roof is steep. What is the best method to use for support?...

View more questions Search