Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2011, 08:47 AM
    Butterfly rash
    I sometimes get a butterfly rash on my face. Around the cheeks and nose.
    The only thing I see for a cause on the internet is LUPUS.

I have had certain health issues the past year, still unexplained and on going, but have always had this rash off and on for years.

When I put cream on it, it stings like hell. I also notice it more after a shower, or and shaving.

What are your thoughts on this?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2011, 09:05 AM

The first thing I thought of when I saw the heading of your post was Lupus. Do other symptoms match that syndrome? It's one of those disorders that doctors usually can't figure out until all the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

It was like that with my older son who's autistic -- none of his problems made sense until I looked at the entire picture. Also, looking at the whole picture had to be done to determine that my husband and his dad have Asperger's (which made my son's autism make sense, obviously in his case, a genetic connection).

Have you tried aloe vera gel on the rash?
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2011, 09:09 AM

No have not tried aloe vera gel
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2011, 09:13 AM

One medical web site says corticosteroid creams can be used to treat the butterfly rash. Has your doctor finally come to a Lupus diagnosis, and would he prescribe a corticosteroid cream for you?
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2011, 09:18 AM

Well I have been back and forth to doctors for different complaints but they are clueless and do not know what is going on. Gettting frustrating. It got to the point where they do not want to see me anymore, and I am tired of trying to get things figured out.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2011, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    Well I have been back and forth to doctors for different complaints but they are clueless and do not know what is going on. Gettting frustrating. It got to the point where they do not want to see me anymore, and I am tired of trying to get things figured out.
    Have you looked at reputable medical sites for Lupus symptoms? If so, do they seem to fit your situation? Of course, you shouldn't diagnose yourself, but that's one disorder, like I said earlier, that takes forever to diagnose because the pieces don't always fit together real well, especially if you are seeing more than one doctor for problems that come up. No one doctor sees the entire picture. It's like the blind men trying to describe an elephant as they are touching different parts of its body.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2011, 10:14 AM

I have tried to stick with one doctor but they can not figure it out. Was thinking of trying a new doctor to see if they can piece things together.

Lots of the symptoms I have fit. But like you said can not diagnose myself either.

Anyway, thank you for your answers.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2011, 10:19 AM

Most common:

Some of the most common symptoms

Achy joints with swelling (YES)
    Extreme fatigue (YES)
    Unexplained rashes (YES)
    Unexplained rashes that turn to sores, then scar
    Butterfly (malar) rash across nose and cheeks (YES)
    Anemia
    Pleurisy (pain in the chest when deep breathing) have asthma
    Ulcers inside the mouth and nose (YES)
    Photosensitivity
    Cardiopulmonary disorders (heart/lung) (Not Sure) on blood pressure medications for controlling blood pressure and heart rate.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2011, 10:40 AM

It certainly does sound like whatever is afflicting you is in the Lupus ball park, doesn't it. Have you been checked for anemia? I had a about with severe anemia two years ago, so I know that's easily checked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unusual butterfly [ 1 Answers ]

Was it the Giant owl butterfly? That has what looks like "eyes" on the wings. I am trying to figure out what something is that I found as well! I saw what looked like a giant monarch butterfly the other day. The body had to be as thick as a rolln of quarters and slightly longer than that. I have...

Butterfly v. Moths [ 1 Answers ]

Technically, what is the difference between a moth and a butterfly.

The Butterfly Effect. [ 8 Answers ]

I have watched The Butterfly Effect many many times. I was wondering what the song was called at the end. I know it is by Oasis. :confused:

Butterfly tattoo [ 2 Answers ]

I have looked on the internet and found thousands of butterfly tattoos but I have not come across very many that I like. I am looking for small to medium butterfly tattoo's with a tribal design around or behind it to put on my lower leg or shoulder.. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or...

View more questions Search