Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmybryant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 05:21 PM
    Roommate's possessions
    I have a roommate that is moving out. He is paid up until tomorrow. Today, he said he will be leaving some stuff here and pick it up over the next few weeks. I have a person that is ready to move in on the first (two days from now).

I know that I can not put this stuff outside, but can I move it to the storage area of the house so the new person can get their stuff in?

Thanks
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Jan 30, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Yes, you can move it to storage and you can charge your old roommate for storage if you want to. Make sure it's reasonable if you do.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2007, 05:44 PM
    Yes.

Tell your old roommate that is what you are doing. Is there a lock on the storage unit? If not, put one on it. Do not give him a copy of the key. Then, make sure you have his new address and phone number and tell him to call you when he is ready to pick up the stuff so you can arrange to open up the storage area. If he questions why he has to make "an appointment" or why you are locking the storage area, tell him it is to make sure no one takes his stuff but him. Be there when he shows up to make sure he takes nothing that doesn't belong to him. Be friendly.

The reason I am telling you to get his current address/info is, in case he doesn't show up in the time frame he has told you he would, if you want his stuff gone, you will need to send him a certified letter stating that he has not shown up as he promised, you need the storage area, and that he has another 30 days from the date of the letter to contact you to make arrangements for pick up. Let him know that if he doesn't show up, you will be forced to either sell it or give it away. That would protect you if he is not a man of his word.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate's dog but my dog [ 4 Answers ]

I recently moved in with my new roommate (we were co-workers) and we both have a dog. Within a week, her dog bit mine. This was a few days ago... and I am not sure if I should take him to the vet... I have been putting hydrogen peroxide on it daily... and still bubble white after days of cleaning...

Roommate's attempt to terminate co-signed lease [ 1 Answers ]

My roommate backed out of our co-signed lease two weeks before the lease's commencement. Can she force me to find or accept a subletter or is she still liable to pay her half the rent?

Tenant possessions [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, let me repost this question right. We were legally evicted by the courts. We where not given a chances to bring anything with us when the courts came to the door and, said we had 15 min. to leave. We where not aloud back for another week, our landlord made us wait because he was on va-ka. When...

View more questions Search