Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonicrab Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2011, 07:32 PM
    Tenant liability for fire?
    Who is liable to pay fire brigade bills if the fire was caused due to bad wiring and Tenants do not have content insurance?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2011, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicrab View Post
    the fire was caused due to bad wiring
    Hello s:

The landlord. The tenant can't do anything about the wires...

As a matter of fact, the tenant could sue the landlord for his loss.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2011, 05:41 AM

Even if the tenant had renter's insurance, its is not likely to cover damage do to structural problems. The tenant has no control over faulty wiring.

However, if the tenant overloaded the wiring. For example, if there was evidence of using multi-taps (adapters that all you to plug multiple items into one outlet) that go behind the capability of the wiring, then the tenant could be held responsible.

Jul 16, 2011, 08:09 PM
    Thanks for replying. I got letter from MFB asking me to pay $21,247.00 or provide them with the content insurance policy number. I didn't have content insurance so basically I have been asked to pay a $21247.00 bill. Can MFB ask tenants to pay the cost of ifrebage visit when the landlord is ready to provide his home insurance policy number which does cover the fire brigade visit?

Jul 17, 2011, 05:58 AM

First, ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area. So we can't answer your question because we have no idea what the rules are governing your fire brigade.

I would respond to this letter with a letter stating that you are not responsible for fire3 caused by structural problems and refer them to the landlord. If the landlord will give you his insurance info, then include that.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2011, 10:23 AM

The landlord insures the building, the tenant insures their possessions in the apartment. Why they would try to stick you with the bill for the fire brigade is beyond me. You may want to contact an attorney before they take you to court and get a judgment against you to pay this bill that the landlord should pay for.

What exactly happened that the wiring was determined to be the cause of the fire. Get the Fire Marshall's report to determine the exact cause of the fire. Without that report you can only speculate as to the actual cause.

Jul 18, 2011, 04:23 AM
    @ScottGem - My house was in Footscray Victoria 3011. Falls under Marybirnong council.
    @Twinkiedooter - I went to Police and firebrigade to have the copy of the report but they didn't give me the copy. I was asked to write a stat dec about the situation and got that attested by police. I was told that they have to incident reported in their computer systems which they can't get printed for me.

Jul 18, 2011, 05:18 AM

I couldn't find an easily researchable set of rules for the Fire Brigade. Have you obtained a copy?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2011, 09:14 AM

I'm a liability investigator - is the "brigade" saying that YOU somehow overloaded the circuit?

I have seen those cases and the tenant has been found liable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Accidental Fire Liability - CT [ 12 Answers ]

I am a renter in CT. My apartment was in an accidental fire(stove was accidentally turned on without my notice, the indication light on stove might have failed to turn on and eventually the stove caught fire). Fire Marshall said the electric stove has a burner and that caught fire and it was purely...

Renter's liability after fire [ 11 Answers ]

If a person does not have renters insurance and the rental home catches on fire because someone accidentally left the stove on, can the renter be held responsible to the landlords insurance for repayment?

Fire damage liability [ 1 Answers ]

If a juvenile starts a fire on city owned property, a playground area, and the city owned parcel and city owned adjacent parcel have not been properly maintained for fire control, is the city responsible for damages caused to properties adjacent to their property?

Apartment Owner Liability After Fire [ 1 Answers ]

An apartment building (3 units) caught on fire next door to a house that I own. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined or may not be determined. The building collapsed and burned to the ground. There was extensive damage to my house, and it is considered a total loss. My house was...

View more questions Search