Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joe freddy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2011, 07:30 AM
    I need to rewire phone jack to match main phone number
    I had 2 phone lines coming into house and recently cancelled 1. I would like to rewire cancelled # phone jack to receive my other number so all house phones will be on the same line.I have been playing around with the switch over. I have looked at the other house jacks and tried to duplicate still not working... any ideas?
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Jul 15, 2011, 07:46 AM
    Joe go to where the two phone line enter the house, generally the phone company mounts a box on your house and brings the phone lines in from the street, open the box and join the two lines together. Also, the red and green wires are the primary phone line.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 15, 2011, 07:46 AM

Without knowing your wiring configuration or what you are describing as a "switch box".

You need to be looking at the demarcation box on the outside of your residence.

Generally speaking, the phone company will run their drop to this box. Then they pair up the Tip and Ring conductors.

Most of the demarc boxes now use Cat5e cables. With Blue/White, White/Blue being the first pair and used for line #1.

Next is Green/White, White/Green pair for line #2.

The last pair Orange/White, White/Orange is generally used for network connections.

To marry the conductors from line two to line one simply move them to the line connector above them.

Jul 15, 2011, 08:06 AM
    My outside box has a green and a red wire going to the main number. Then a yellow and a black wire going to another line. Do you mean remove the yellow and black wires and connect them to the yellow and black terminals of the main number?

Jul 15, 2011, 08:10 AM
    Comment on donf's post
    My outside box has a green wire and a red wire going to the main number. Then it has a yellow wire and a black wire going to another terminal. Do you mean take the yellow and black wires loose and reconnect them to the yellow and black screws on the main number terminal?

Jul 15, 2011, 08:44 AM

Joe,

Can you post a picture of the wiring in the box?

It depends. Do you have a four wire (Green <tip 1>/Red <Ring 1> /Black <Tip 2> /Yellow <Ring 2> ) drop from the phone company on one side of the connector block and the same on the customer side?

If so, then yes. From the customer side of line two, Yellow < connect with Red> /Black <connect with Green>.
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Jul 15, 2011, 08:51 AM
    Joe connect the yellow & black to the green and red.

Jul 15, 2011, 09:30 AM
    Comment on donf's post
    I have 4 wires coming to the customer side (1) Red,Green,Black and Yellow.The Red and Green had gone to the main number. The yellow and black went to the terminal below and I have a empty terminal above. (A Terminal consists of 4 screws to attach the 4 colored wires).
    "Yellow< connect with Red>/Black" what does that mean?
    Thanks.

Jul 15, 2011, 09:32 AM
    Comment on donf's post
    I forgot to mention, I can not get into the other side of the box due to a special lock. Only the customer side.

Jul 15, 2011, 09:40 AM

Joe,

You do not need to get into the phone company side of the box.

From the customer side, you need to connect the yellow wire from line 2 to the red wire on line 1 (that's the ring circuit) and the Black wire from line 2 to the Green wire on line 1 (that's the Tip circuit).
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2011, 03:19 PM

Like mentioned above, just move yellow wire, connect to the red above, then move black wire from below to the green above.
    Many of the outside boxes "D Mark", have RJ 11 phone plugs and jacks so you can test the Phone should you have a problem, it disconnects inside phones.
    In that case you could plug both lines into a 2 way.
    To correct the Line Numbers mentioned previously...
    White-Blue/Blue-White Pair is line one,
    Orange pair is second pair,
    Green Pair is 3rd pair,
    Brown is the 4th pair and is typical in Category Rated wiring and for your cat 5 for networking usually has these 4 pairs.
    Then Slate(gray) pair,
    Then,red/blue pair,
    Red/orange,red/green/red/brown, red/slate and continues for 25 pairs, then it gets worse with the bundles, but easily color coded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to rewire a phone jack [ 4 Answers ]

I need some help. This house had at one time two different phone lines. We now have only one phone line working. I need to find out how to rewire one of the jacks that was hooked up to the other number. The phone company is going to charge us $120 to come out and do this, but they tell me that...

I want to convert a phone jack to be the main phone jack. How do I do that? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to use the phone jack in my basement to connect my Vonage phone adapter in order to distribute the service to all phone jacks in my house. But I need to convert it to the "main" jack in order for the Vonage signal to be distributed. I was told I should be able to convert this jack to the...

Need to rewire phone jack for dsl [ 5 Answers ]

Need to rewire phone jack for dsl instead of phone.

Rewire a phone jack to the main line [ 3 Answers ]

We recently had a second telephone line disconnected. It currently has no dial tone/calling capabilities. When we asked the phone company, they told us to rewire the jack, but we are not sure what to do. The box outside has wires connected in two different spots (1 = striped orange wires...

How to rewire a phone jack? [ 2 Answers ]

When I moved into my house the original owers had comcast for the phone co, so we went with them. Later on we changed back to qwest for better service options and they came out and rewire one of our phone jacks and at the time we only had them to the one in the kitchen and now I need to get 3...

View more questions Search