Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leazer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2011, 09:41 PM
    Using the abbreviation etc. on a resume
    Is it proper to use the abbreviation "etc." on a resume
    infoguy Posts: 108, Reputation: 8

Jul 14, 2011, 11:02 PM

The abbreviation "etc" is a short form of the Latin expression, et cetera, roughly meaning "and so forth." The document known as a resume is supposed to be detailed, yet brief as possible. A potential employer will glance at a resume for perhaps five to seven seconds before making a decision whether to go on to the next resume, or take a closer look at yours! Since "and so forth" adds nothing of value to your resume, I would strongly recommend that you do NOT use it. Such an expression may even be considered "fluff" (puffed up) by a reviewer. Attention to detail is critical in a resume, so you might want to consider the difference between the words resume and resume (with two accented e's), paying close attention to the effect of the acute accent marks, and their effect on both pronunciation and word meaning. There is a really good treatise of that on RICEP Inc. Rsums and Employment Workshops. Why not go there and read it?

After posting the above information, I found out that this website apparently cannot properly display words that have accented letters in them. The accented letters looked fine, until I confirmed my entry! All the accented letters ended up looking like little squares. That fact is very unfortunate, because there are quite a few such words in the English language! So I changed all those accented letters (squares) back to lower case e's as a fix.

Jul 14, 2011, 11:20 PM
    Comment on infoguy's post
    Is that a yes or no if you can use etc. abbreviation on your resume? (I am on that website, thanks for that!)

Jul 14, 2011, 11:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leazer View Post
    is that a yes or no if you can use etc. abbreviation on your resume?? (I am on that website, thanks for that!)
    Below is copied and pasted from the posting you quoted!
    "I would strongly reccommend that you do NOT use it."

Jul 14, 2011, 11:53 PM
    Comment on infoguy's post
    Thank you so very much! Sorry, I didn't catch that the first time :( :)

Jul 15, 2011, 12:23 AM
    Leazer, the proper mechanism to use on this site, if you like (or dislike) someone's answer, is to chose "Yes" or "No" where you see the question, "Is this helpful?"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need a best warehouse&logistics resume can anybody make a resume for me? [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2.8 years working experience as warehouse assistant (from 2005 to 2008) in ZYX company,Malaysia and from oct 2009 to till date I am working as warehouse supervisor in XYZ company,saudi arabia based on these details please make a resume for me

Resume [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get my past work history to fill out a resume

Abbreviation in equation [ 1 Answers ]

I have an equation and I am not sure what some of the abreviations stand for. The equation is Profit = (P–AVC) Q–FC. I know P- is profit, Q- is quanity, and FC- is fixed cost but what is AVC? Is it Additional voluntary contribution? Can someone please let me know?

Pounds abbreviation [ 2 Answers ]

Where did the lb. for pounds come from:confused:

Background on the abbreviation for pounds [ 1 Answers ]

Simple question, really. I'm not sure if I'm putting this on the right board, but I figured an engineer or two would probably know the answer. The common english abbreviation for a pound is "lb", is there any specific reason or meaning to why L and B where chosen to abbreviate this word? ...

View more questions Search