Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 05:07 AM

Thanks Shazzy. Yea I think that's about the best I can do. I will not be taking the dogs here afterwards. And I will make darn well sure I get a letter of reference in writing before I walk out those doors.

I actually thought that's why they weren't giving me work to do, so it looked as if they didn't need me. What clinic is going to let an employee bring a laptop and do as they please while waiting for something to come up? Not too many. I'm allowed to go on FB, AMHD, and other networking or fun sites but I am not allowed to bring a book to the office and read. I am not even sitting at the front desk at the moment. What kind of receptionist doesn't greet clients as they arrive? They have me in a back office answering phones and filing. I've been taking initiative myself and cleaning the exam rooms, sweeping the front foyer, wiping the weigh tables and exam tables down, and going around asking people if they need anything. I have sat in on a few exams with the vet techs, they all think it's ridiculous what it happening to me. They have been trying to keep me busy too. One of the Barbs told me she is going to "train" me on nail cutting and weighing today.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2011, 05:32 AM

Make sure you keep doing all that extra stuff, even though it doesn't seem appreciated by the boss.
    You can get references from the Barbs, although they aren't employing you, they are above you and their opinion of your work certainly counts when looking for a new job.

Nail cutting and weighing? Wow, that was worth going to school for :rolleyes:
    Our vet surgery gets the patients to weigh their own dogs on the floor scale in the waiting room!

I'm really angry about this I know you were excited about this job :(
    Dogs Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 05:46 AM

Yup. It's a floor scale. I'm not sure what the training was for it. She basically took the leash and led the dog on the scale and gave a treat. But I am officially trained on weighing. Hah. Maybe I can get a good grooming job out of it. Or a groomers assistant. (sarcasm font, where did I put that... ) Yea I was super excited. I still love being here. I wasn't here to make friends, but being stuck in a back office is hardly the dream job I anticipated. I just want to work with animals.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2011, 06:01 AM
    I know it's a smaller town where you are but do they have a PetSmart store? We have one and my son wants to be a dog groomer when he gets older from watching them at the store.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 06:07 AM

I am going to ask a very silly question here, but here it goes. I guess I'm a little confused.

It was brought up in another post on this thread that someone thought Bella was from Australia. I think that was because of the aboriginal term.

What is the difference between Canada and Australia?
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2011, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    What is the difference between Canada and Australia?
    In what context? Native people?
    Dogs Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 06:26 AM

Haha. Aboriginal in Canada is Native American. They prefer to be called aboriginal here now. When I wikied it, there wasn't much difference. So I am really not sure of the difference. I just think it's another name change...
    Dogs Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I know it's a smaller town where you are but do they have a PetSmart store? We have one and my son wants to be a dog groomer when he gets older from watching them at the store.
    There isn't a PetSmart here, but I wouldn't support a pet store anyway. I know, now I am just being picky.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 06:30 AM

Thank you, I understand now. In Alaska we had Inuit. Native Americans.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2011, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I know, now I am just being picky.
    When your employment options are limited then yes you are being a little picky. What is it about that chain you don't like? Here they work in conjunction with the SPCA.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 06:34 AM

No problem. I still get confused :p And if it helps to better understand the situation. Aboriginals do not pay taxes in Canada, they also have certain areas of the provinces that are reserves. They usually get a house out of high school and get paid to continue their education. If they choose not to continue education, they still get their free house with free utilities. Granted some reserves are very poor and some of the elders don't have running water or electricity in the homes. And I know how this sounds, I don't begrudge anyone for anything, but I find it frustrating that I not only pay taxes so places like where I can work can run, but I am giving a HUGE chunk of my pay BACK to the reserve. It's like they are keeping the money right here!
    Dogs Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 06:38 AM
    When your employment options are limited then yes you are being a little picky. What is it about that chain you don't like? Here they work in conjunction with the SPCA.

It's not specifically PetSmart, but any pet store as I do not condone nor do I support back yard breeding. The PetSmart in the closest city all have cats and kittens from the SPCA (excellent) but their dogs are all from BYB. It's just something I find ethically wrong. I would work at McDonalds or another fast food restaurant before I worked for a pet store. I am not trying to sound ungrateful, picky or pretentious, but I didn't go to school to work shift work with a bunch of high school kids. I am sure I can find another receptionist position else where. I just WANT this job. It's just one step closer to my end goal.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 06:40 AM

I'm sorry Nk, I know you are trying to help, and you have no idea how much I appreciate it. I just don't want to give up on my dream so fast. If I can keep this job for a full year I will have enough money saved up and I could take out a student loan to live off for the last year of school.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 12:15 PM

Just want to pipe in on the pet store thing.

Bella, Shazzy, and I, and most of the long term members posting in the pet forum, are against backyard breeding and puppymills. Most pet stores sell puppies that are from back yard breeders. The bigger chains sell puppymill puppies.

We're not against mixed breeds, in fact, Bella and I both have mixed breeds, and rescue animals. We're against breeding these animals for profit, in less then ideal, even extremely unsanitary and unhealthy, conditions.

There are few pet stores I'd work for. The local one near my house rarely has dogs for sale, and when they do it's from a local accidental litter. I'd work for them. But, most pet stores actually purchase the puppies they have for sale, give them designer names, claim they're from reputable breeders (no reputable breeder would sell their dogs in a pet store) and make a huge profit off these less then healthy animals.

I know we can't be picky in today's job market, but I hope you can see where Bella, and I, are coming from. :)
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2011, 01:57 PM
    Understood. It's not my area so I needed some edumacating. :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 03:10 PM
    Understood. It's not my area so I needed some edumacating. :)
    LOL!

Just thought I'd tell you why we're against most pet stores. The bigger chains are the ones that usually go with byb's and puppymills. I'm not saying that Petsmart is completely bad, they do work with the local SPCA, but they also take in dogs from byb's, which is what makes them unsavory.

One example, and I'm completely hijacking this thread (sorry Bells). There's a show on TV called "Pick a puppy". It's sponsored by Petsmart. They have a family looking for a puppy, and that family visits three "breeders", and then chooses which puppy is best for them.

If these were legit breeders, which some of them are (a very small few), I'd have no concern. But "breeders" selling Shichons, Labradoodles, cavoodles, and all the other designer breeds, aren't breeders. They're byb's, and they're selling their pups on TV being sponsored by Petsmart. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. At the end of the show they get a gift certificate from Petsmart for their new puppy.

Sorry for hijacking. As you can tell, I'm very passionate about this, and I know that Bella is just as passionate. It would be like working in a meat factory slaughtering animals, when you're a vegan. It's just against what we believe and promote.

Okay, off to hijack someone else's thread. ;)
    Dogs Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 04:15 PM

Alty pretty muched summed it all up. After voluntering for the SPCA and seeing the dogs come in and being sumped because they casn't be house broken (pet store dogs are among the hardest to houe train), they have multiple health issue (most cavooldle 's Smugs, Shorkies and all those other cute named toy breeds tend to have health issues), or labradoodles and golden doodles who "just out grew the home" as they were promised a medium sized dog and the dog just got bigger, hard to predict a mutt's size, temperament and looks. I have had 3 permanent rescues in the past 10 years, all but one were mixed breeds, and many, many foster dogs. It's not the dog I hate, it's the people who do it.

So greenie for Alty for breaking it all down, and a thousand greenies to NK for being so understanding and open to edumacation ;)
    Dogs Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 09:01 AM

Well good news my friends! I JUST signed my years contract. My job isn't specifically going to be what was initially promised, but I am okay with that. I will be spending my time on the financial side of things and working with 3 aboriginal organizations that provide the funding for this operation. I’m excited. I’m more than just a glorified receptionist, and I still get to do all the fun stuff with the animals. I am excited. Also the scholarship will still be offered to me (providing I meet the requirements) at the end of the work term! Life is good! :D
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Aug 16, 2011, 09:12 AM

Awesome Bella!

I didn't even know they extended a contract to you... could you give more details? Did your cover letter/resume land you the interview?

CONGRATS!
    Dogs Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 10:32 AM

They hadn't extended a contract in the first place, but after the initial conversation about who they wanted representing the organization, I told them I would be looking for permanent employment elsewhere. I told my boss I had an interview, he told me they weren't looking to replace me right away, and I basically told him I needed a secure job with a company who didn't think I was disposable because of my skin colour. I told him I would stay with this place if they offered me secure employment. Today he pulled out the year contract and I signed. And there was a little signing bonus to go with it! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Minority Interest [ 3 Answers ]

Please Help here: Minority interest: a. represents ownership of stockholders who own less than 60% of the outstanding stock in a consolidated company. b. represent the rights of nonmajority shareholders to assets and earnings of a consolidated company. c. represents ownership of those...

Is a felon a minority? [ 4 Answers ]

Is a felon a minority?

Am I a minority? [ 2 Answers ]

I am new to this so please bare with me. Are convicted felons considered to be minorities? Thanks

Minority protection [ 1 Answers ]

For a minority shareholder who has suffered a wrong at the hands of the majority to establish a case under the alternative remedy he must show both that he suffered “unfairly prejudicial conduct” and that this was suffered in his capacity as a member of the company. Can anybody help me to...

View more questions Search