Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 13, 2011, 03:03 PM
    Nodules on Thyroid
    Dirty Words!!

On 1 July a CT scan turned up nodules on my Thyroid. On 11 July I started two days of testing to see if I am about to meet God as I know He/She. :)

The report was supposed to be back by 1:00 P.M. today. I've called the doctor's office three times this afternoon. NO ANSWER!

Is it possible that they cannot understand how scared Bonnie and I are?

Now don't get me wrong, I am not whining, I am stuck with not knowing which is worse then anything I can imagine.

I know, after a weekend of searching the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins web sites that the chances are 99.99999% in my favor. However, here I sit worried for us. Cowardice springs immediately to mind. Chicken S*it is another term that jumps up.

I've faced burning compartment's on a ship. Police shoot-outs as a kid, bodies being pulled from the Harlem River, in the Bronx. I'm no hero, but this has knocked me to my knees.

How do you cope with Panic!! Fear, I can muddle through, but panic.

I thank God for the gift of my Lady. She stands right here with me.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 13, 2011, 03:22 PM

Don, let me first say I know what your going through. The toughest part of any situation is not knowing. After that its second guessing what you would or should have done. Your best is to keep optomistic with the situation and trust that you have a good doctor. I had a scare before. And with good reason it could have taken my life. Instead of worrying about it I worked my way through the maze of healing and remained optomistic. Keep and hold that attitude until such a time as you have to adjust it. Worry and stress are greater killers of both body and mind then anything you can imagine. Don't get me wrong Ill still keep you in my prayers. But be positive and keep telling yourself you can beat it even if it is true. Take the steps and roll with them as they come at you.
    Be positive and visualize yourself as a picture of health no matter what stands in your way. Waiting sucks but it is part of the process.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 13, 2011, 04:00 PM
    I understand your frustration, and I think it is unconscionable that the Doctor's office wouldn't call, even to say that the test was delayed a day.

This also happened to be with uterine cancer testing. The Dr. was to call me with the results, which turned out to be the Thursday before Christmas. By 2 in the afternoon, I called, only to hear a recording that they were closed until the 27th of December.

If I were you, I would do one of two things. GO to the Doctor's office and tell them you need an answer to the tests that should have been received yesterday and you aren't leaving until they tell you the results.

OR, or in addition to, phone the place that gave you your tests, and ask them to confirm that they had been sent to your Doctor. That way when you go to the Doctor's office you can say you KNOW the tests are there. And for some unexplained reason they didn't arrive, your Doctor can call the Doctor who read the tests and prepared a report.

Either way, I would most defninately be rattling some cages.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 13, 2011, 04:57 PM
    Wednesday afternoon is the traditional doctor's time off. Maybe they forgot that when they said 1:00 PM today.
    MANY many doctors don't call when test results are negative, sorry to say. That might be good news - the office person saw that and took the rest of the day off too. And when results are positive, the doctor has to be the one to call you, and he or she might wait until the end of the day after seeing patients.

This seems to happen to ALL of us!
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Jul 14, 2011, 03:53 AM

No advice but thinking of you Donf. Hope you get some answers soon and keeping everything crossed the news won't be too bad.
    Hang in there...

Jul 14, 2011, 06:43 AM

Good morning all.

The doctor called. The Iodine x-ray is fine. The sonogram showed two nodules. One of which is almost 2 cm.

I'm off to an Endocrinologist for a biopsy when they can get it scheduled.

However, the good news is that she is just being cautious and does not suspect cancer.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 14, 2011, 06:52 AM

YAY!! Good news. Some other good news for you, thyroid cancer is extremely rarely terminal. Also, it is extremely rare that chemo or radiation is needed.

My sister had the same issue when she was in her 30s, except she DID have cancer. Simply thyroidectomy cured it!
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Jul 14, 2011, 08:39 AM

Phew. Glad to hear how things are going so far. Hope you feel a little better now.

Jul 14, 2011, 02:25 PM

Thank you all!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 14, 2011, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Thank you all!
    Your VERY welcome. Im glad the outcome is a positive one. :)
    NathansMommy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2011, 07:55 PM
    I just went through the same thing. It turns out that my nodules and goiter were caused by early Hoshimotos disease. It's very easy to treat though. I'm still working with my endocrinologist and I have continued testing for some lymph nodes that are causing issues. It can be very frightening but the truth is that stress only makes it worse and most things thyroid related are very easy to treat once they are identified. I spent 3 years sick before they even did my ultrasound and started figuring this out. I'm glad you caught this early and whatever it is I am confident that it will be easy to treat and resolve. GOD bless :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it cancer if you have ovarian cyst then they find breast nodules also [ 1 Answers ]

My sister was having a lot of gastroenteritis she went to doctors finally they figured out she had two cyst on ovaries. She also had a mammogram which came back showing two breast nodules. Could this be or is it most likely cancer

Lung nodules can it be associated with cocaine addiction? [ 1 Answers ]

My stepson was diagnosed with pheunmonia, and had a ct scan as well as a x-ray. The doctor said that he has nodules on the top half and lower half of his lungs( he is 37yrs old)... he runs a auto body shop also but the big issue to me is,I know for a fact he is an addict, still using , I'm not sure...

Chest nodules [ 2 Answers ]

I have a couple of recently detected chest nodules accidentally discovered on a CT scan. On my first follow up CT scan, 4months later, it was noted that one of the nodules grew approximately 0.8 cm. Any thoughts on the significance of this type of growth.

Thyroid [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out if levothyroxine comes from pig, or is it 100% natural.

View more questions Search