Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    james Williams's Avatar
    james Williams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 13, 2011, 10:56 AM
    Paying child support
    I am paying child support and have been for over 2 years. Now they are about to increase it - how do I stop that and she made a statement that the child is not mine. How do I get her to be required to get a DNA test.
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

    Jul 13, 2011, 11:00 AM

    "They"? Who is "they?"

    You go to Court and either respond to her Petition or file your own Petition. You will be requested to produce financial info, as will she. You will ask the Court to do DNA testing.

    Some of this varies by State... but it's pretty much the same all over.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Jul 13, 2011, 07:43 PM

    To raise the payment, they will have to have filed paper work. And you have the right to object and you both submit paper work, if you wages increased, it is likely support will go up
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jul 14, 2011, 03:56 AM

    First, ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

    Second, did you sign an acknowledgment of paternity? If you did, it may be too late to change your legal paternity.

    But this all has to be played out in court. She files for a modification, you counter file with proof that your income hasn't changed, or you file for a reversal of paternity. I suggest getting an attorney!
    this8384's Avatar
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

    Jul 14, 2011, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by james Williams View Post
    I am paying child support and have been for over 2 years. Now they are about to increase it - how do I stop that and she made a statement that the child is not mine. How do I get her to be required to get a DNA test.
    First you need to tell us where you are located. If you've been paying court-ordered support for two years, you may be past the statute of limitations to contest paternity.

    Second, support is typically based on the non-custodial parent's gross income. If your income increased within the last 2 years, then the child is entitled to receive a portion of that increase. If you're making more money, then you can't "stop" the court from increasing the amount you are required to pay.

    What is your gross income, what are you currently paying and what is the court increasing the support amount to? Again, laws vary by region as to what is the required amount to be paid by the NCP. For example: Wisconsin requires 17% for one child, 25% for two children, 29% for three, etc. Illinois requires 20% for one child, 28% for two children, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DFS took child away from custodial parent, why am I still paying child support? [ 4 Answers ]

My Ex-wife got arrested along with her boyfriend and my daughter for drugs. DFS removed my 15 yo daughter and placed her in my care, she can't see her mother without supervision. The Ex has a felony charge of child endangerment against her, why am I still paying child support?

Ex-Wife not paying child support of seeing the child [ 10 Answers ]

We just recently got the divorce final my I got custody and she is suppose to have visitation every other weekend she will pick her up Friday and drop her off Saturday. She was suppose to take her for the whole month of June and July but said she cannot because she has no one to watch her. She...

Will I be paying child support for a child not mine in marrige? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I be force to pay child support through marrige even if the child is not mine?

How to prove child is emancipated,so I can stop paying child support? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old child who graduated in june08.I was told by judge because of new (mass.)law I have to prove she's emancipated, in order to stop child support.She supposedly lives with her mom .doesnt go to school.I can't find any info,because she's 18(privacy laws).On court order it says I...

Paying Child Support to mom who abandoned child [ 5 Answers ]

I'll try to be brief... My 17 year old daughter chose to live with her mom 100% of the time a year and a half ago. My ex drug me through the court system fighting for an increase in my child suport even though I was still paying her (through automatic deduction from my pay check) for my daughter...

View more questions Search