Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 06:32 AM
    News Corp in deep doodoo
    News Corp may be at risk for U.S. probe over bribery - Yahoo! News

Rupert Murdoch's News Corp could face probes by U.S. authorities for possibly violating bribery laws, compounding the media mogul's problems after a phone-hacking scandal in Britain.
    British media outlets reported that News of the World reporters bought phone details for the royal family from a security officer. The Daily Mirror newspaper reported, citing an unidentified source, that News of the World reporters had also offered to pay a New York police officer to retrieve the private phone records of victims of the September 11 attacks.
    Another possible headache for Murdoch's empire is that a bribery inquiry that started in one country could go global and such investigations can drag on for years and cost tens of millions of dollars.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2011, 06:47 AM

Maybe next they'll go after the Obama administration for bribing the media.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 06:54 AM
    That should be looked into as well. You can start your own thread.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2011, 07:39 AM

I wonder if News Corp will reach CBS levels of fabricating the news.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I wonder if News Corp will reach CBS levels of fabricating the news.
    LOL! News Corp owns Fox News! So yes.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 12, 2011, 08:05 AM
    This kind of lit the fire: BBC News - Q&A: News of the World phone-hacking scandal

Here's how the mighty empire stacks up: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14030051
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 08:32 AM
    The stock has been fairly stable through all this:
    News Corporation Share Price Chart | NWS - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Finance though it is starting to dip in the last week.

It's one to watch though.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 08:32 AM

Hello NK:

If you believe the problem Murdock is having in the UK was limited to that one newspaper, then he'll skate here... But, if you believe that HE sanctioned it, then he DOES have a problem here...

But, if I'm not mistaken, when the scandal first broke years ago, the newspaper said that it was the work of ONE LONE ROGUE reporter, and he was FIRED... Of course, that's not true at all. We now find out that this kind of behavior was rife throughout that newspaper...

Why would anyone think it's not happening here?? Because he SAYS so?? Bwa, ha ha ha.

excon
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2011, 08:47 AM
    This is too funny... and sad:

speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2011, 09:42 AM

As I've said before, the only FNC show watch is Fox and Friends and I know they've been covering the story and saying that Newscorp is their parent company. It's also covered on their website, so what's the problem? Someone upset that it isn't their lead story every half hour? I thought we were supposed to be more concerned with the debt ceiling.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2011, 09:57 AM

If News corp goes down there will be another organization to run a ratings winner like FOX .

The Brit tabloids have always been a bit rogue. They chased Lady Di to her death. You think the left leaners in their press corp is immune from these tactics in the pursuit of the sensational ?

This story is a liberal's wet dream. You got Boxer and Rockefeller trying to get Senate Hearings. This will distract the country from their poor performance... They think the country needs the distraction now that the Clemens case went belly up.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2011, 10:18 AM
    This story is a liberal's wet dream.
    Other than your awkward obsession with ejaculation no one has brought this up as a political issue, it's a business issue, isn't it? Why must you demonize people who don't share your brand of politics?
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2011, 10:32 AM
    If News corp goes down there will be another organization to run a ratings winner like FOX .

This story is a liberal's wet dream.
    Hello again, tom:

Yes, there will ALWAYS be a market for the swill FOX spews... But, they won't have the latitude they do now. As a matter of fact, I'm CERTAIN of it.

Wet dream?? Did I enjoy Nixon's downfall?? Only in that it exposed corruption at the core of government, as this one might. We ALL benefit when corruption is rooted out, don't we?

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2011, 10:46 AM

It was an overzealous company ,who's parent organization is NewsCorp ,doing something illegal to discover the sensational tabloid stories in England .

Where were the Senate hearings when CBS's Dan Rather and his group forged documents in an attempt to influence an American election ?
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2011, 11:00 AM
    Where were the Senate hearings when CBS's Dan Rather and his group forged documents in an attempt to influence an American election ?
    Hello again, tom:

When CBS said that it was the work of a LONE reporter, it was the truth.

When Murdock's newspaper said it was the work of a LONE reporter, they were LYING through their teeth.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2011, 11:03 AM

And of course everyone took CBS at their word . Again... where was the Senate Hearings ? Why didn't the FCC slap them down ? They got in more trouble for a costume malfunction.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2011, 11:07 AM
    and of course everyone took CBS at their word . Again
    Hello again, tom:

They took Murdock at his word too, for many years, until they couldn't deny what was right in front of them... The difference is??

I'll be happy to support senate hearings into CBS when you can show me they're acting like Murdock is.

excon
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2011, 09:52 AM

Hello again,

I earlier compared Murdock's decline to Nixon. Now, I think it's more like Joe McCarthy. Nobody was willing to confront McCarthy because they were afraid that he would DESTROY them, and he WOULD.

Then the first one asked, "Have you no sense of decency?", and then everybody piled on. It was the END of McCarthy, and this may spell the end of Murdock.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2011, 01:01 PM

McCarthy was right .The problem is that the legend has him wrong ,and the historic proof has not supplanted the legend. But in truth ;the NSA intercepted communications between the Soviets and their infiltrators for years that confirmed the charges McCarthy was making .
    We did not get that evidence public until the Venona intercepts went public in 1995 .
    But there has been enough time past to correct the fallacy and smear against Sen McCarthy . If he had been a Democrat lib you know the media and academia would've made it a priority .
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2011, 01:35 PM
    McCarthy was right .
    No he wasn't. He perpetrated the biggest knee jerk reaction ever.
    We did not get that evidence public until the Venona intercepts went public in 1995 .
    This: Venona project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    In no way should ever have led to this: McCarthyism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Blindly toeing the party line has never been more evident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Explain me the you.S Tax Terms (W2, 1099, Corp to Corp). [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, Could anyone please explain me what does these U.S Tax Terms (W2, 1099, Corp to Corp). Looking forward for a good explanation. Thanks, Sam.

Me and my spouse own 100% of stock in my c corp. Can the corp pay us dividends? [ 0 Answers ]

Is it deductible to my corporation and how do I compute this number

Obama stepping into deep doodoo to tax veterans for health care [ 18 Answers ]

Get the tea parties ready for new Obama tax: "It was stated then that The American Legion believes that the reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate that VA treat service-connected injuries and disabilities given that the United States government sends members of the armed forces...

Good news or bad news are these doctors of their rocker? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, well I went to the doctor today concerning my miscarriage last week. Some of you may have read my post about having discharge and why the bleeding stopped (after only 3-4 days), well it turns out I am one of those women who can pass everything in 4 days. I have had an ultrasound...

View more questions Search